Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I blew the belt in my 850

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spdecat
What I did last week was I installed a new belt only using the tools I carry on board ( front storage box ) in my garage . I had to add 1 socket but now I know I can change my belt anywhere in about 1 hour no tow will be needed . Well worth knowing in-case the situation comes up miles from home that you can change your belt .
I don't have my manual in the house so I can't check but is the process to change the belt in the owners manual? If not what is a good reference source on how to change it?

thanks

- brian

Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

i just traded in my xp 850 for an 08 800sp for certin reasons however i did buy the service manual and the belt replacement procedure is not to bad you have to remove the left rear tire and remove the 2 crossmember bolts and remove the crossmember bar then you should be able to access all the pvt housing bolts all 13 i think the tool kit comes with the clutch tool to relese the tension on the belt the only hard part is the tire removal when your out on the trail

Old 04-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have any pics of your 850 ductmate? I bet you took a HUGE hit both in the pocket book and the fun factor when you sold it for a 800 LOL..

Old 04-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

You might want to buy the Polaris service manual well worth the 80 bucks or so . In my case 08 500 to change the belt the manual is not needed its such a simple procedure just looking at it your see what you need to do . As for your XP I'm not sure but grab a beer and give it a try I'm sure you can change it on the trail without much hassle .

Old 04-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Rutcutter
Do you have any pics of your 850 ductmate? I bet you took a HUGE hit both in the pocket book and the fun factor when you sold it for a 800 LOL..
no pics only had it for 2 weeks and the hit to the wallet was not that bad dealer threw in some boxes and a winch and i later found out polaris refused to warrenty the broken arms and lower ball joints so the dealer had to eat them

Old 04-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DavidXP
I just got my quad back from the shop and as i suspected i blew the belt.....
That sucks to hear. Yeah, so much for the 5000 mile belt. I specifically asked the dealer about the belt and they said, "oh don't worry about the belt, it'll be a couple years before you even need to think about it".

I guess I can't worry about it until it happens. Hopefully that won't be 20 miles out. I guess I should carry a small jack now too.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 AM
Pro Rider

In my opinion Polaris has one of the poorest designed CVT systems out there (and I am a Polaris rider). I know they were the first with the CVT, I know snowmobile belts can handle the power, and so on, but they need to step up and go to the starting clutch/ tight belt setup on all the sportsman models. They have it on the Sp 300 and 400HO and it works great. The current setup in the other Sportsman models always has a tiny bit of belt slip on initial take off and is far more prone to belt problems if low gear is not used in tons of situations.

Yamaha and Arctic Cat already incorporate this starting clutch/ tight belt setup in all of their CVT systems and it works much better. You can do far more in high gear with this setup.

I hope Polaris will step up and do this as it will eliminate a lot of belt issues.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
That sucks to hear. Yeah, so much for the 5000 mile belt. I specifically asked the dealer about the belt and they said, "oh don't worry about the belt, it'll be a couple years before you even need to think about it".

I guess I can't worry about it until it happens. Hopefully that won't be 20 miles out. I guess I should carry a small jack now too.
Had a belt go on my son's ATP. We didn't carry an extra one then. We do now. Fortunately, it happened on the easy railtrail section on the way back to the truck. I towed the ATP to the nearest road and left my son there. On the way back with my truck and trailer I noticed a dealership a couple hundred yards up the road. They did it for about $75 including labor. There is a God. So, we now have the belts and tools to install them. I like the lessons that aren't the hard to learn type.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've had one go on me, my fault tho, tried pulling in high. Noticed yesterday as I was climbing it smoked some so looks like I'll be changing it again soon. figuring I ride a couple hrs a day, mostly hills, I still think I got screwed, sure the belt only cost me 60 but an hr to change it. You would think I would get at least a year out of it. Always let it warm up before takeoff and then another 5 minutes of taking it easy.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:27 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by TennesseeTider

Yamaha and Arctic Cat already incorporate this starting clutch/ tight belt setup in all of their CVT systems and it works much better. You can do far more in high gear with this setup.

I hope Polaris will step up and do this as it will eliminate a lot of belt issues.
Suzuki has a similar system to Yamaha... and you rarely here of belt issues with those quads.

I doubt that Polaris will change... they think they wrote the book on CVT's... how could anybody possibly make a better CVT than them. LOL

Quick Reply: I blew the belt in my 850