Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I blew the belt in my 850

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I blew the belt in my 850

I just got my quad back from the shop and as i suspected i blew the belt.....another 300 dollars!yay
first of the mechanic said it was a very thin belt especially for a big bore...hmmmm
And second i would like to know what i did to blow it i just came out of a tough mud hole and it wasn't slipping we were going though a farm field and i felt a vibration and KAPOW and then the 20 minute tow to the truck!
I am very big on low range and i warm my belt up before i give'er i thought i did everything to keep the belt for a long time (so much for a 5 thousand mile belt life)...?and no warranty shouldn't it be a warranty item?
Well thats my rant for today!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so the new 850's dont have a belt life time warranty? i would be asking what they say the cause of the belt blowing, and if they said it was misuse or burned spots, i would asked them nicey to show you the damage to the belt that caused it to let go so you will know what not to do the next time(just making that up so they can explain why this wasnt covered). this is what i would be asking. just my .02

Old 04-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer

What cost $300? That is crazy expensive for a belt. Putting a new belt on is a 10 minute job.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by psu111376
What cost $300? That is crazy expensive for a belt. Putting a new belt on is a 10 minute job.
Really! If it's not under warrenty, which I think it should be, do it yourself. Changing a belt is something you really should know how to do. We take long trips and always carry a couple of belts for the group, it's really an easy job and would have saved you probably about $250. That said go back and make them show you why it's not covered, the only excuse would be abuse on your part, so make them prove that.

oops.....just noticed you're running 27's, thats going to be the reason they say it broke, even if we all know it's BS, you just gave them an out.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer
Thumbs down

$300 for a belt change.........yikes. Whats the new one made of gold?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by teamsos
$300 for a belt change.........yikes. Whats the new one made of gold?
LOL, no kidding!!!

If you want to have the responsibility of owning an ATV and venturing out in the woods, you need to be responsible enough to know how to change your belt to keep you from being stranded out in the woods, I don't care if you always ride with a group or not.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Dave that sucks ..... another early belt failure! As XP owners we all better watch this situation closely and try to understand what the percentage of failures really is. I would have to believe that we are a small sub set of owners and as such when we see multiple premature failures for guys on this forum there are surely many many more happening.

Dave I hope you call and call and continue to call Polaris and force your dealer to call and try to find out what they think you did wrong. How many hours/miles do you actually have on yours?

Old 04-09-2009, 03:53 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by DavidXP
I just got my quad back from the shop and as i suspected i blew the belt.....another 300 dollars!yay
first of the mechanic said it was a very thin belt especially for a big bore...hmmmm
And second i would like to know what i did to blow it i just came out of a tough mud hole and it wasn't slipping we were going though a farm field and i felt a vibration and KAPOW and then the 20 minute tow to the truck!
I am very big on low range and i warm my belt up before i give'er i thought i did everything to keep the belt for a long time (so much for a 5 thousand mile belt life)...?and no warranty shouldn't it be a warranty item?
Well thats my rant for today!
Yep, seems some of these machines are eating belts at a rapid pace. I guess the "5000 miles" belt thingy was if you baby them. Kind of similar to the cold start plug fouling issue... if you baby them for 10 minutes or so, they "might not" foul... or they still might. LOL

Anyhow, hope you get it straightened out.

EDIT: I know of another guy who has gone through 4 in 200 miles. Maybe they meant "50 mile" belt life. LOL

Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

The belt is the same as the 800 I believe, they made the 800 belt stronger than the 700, it costs about $90.00, looks like there going to have to get a stronger belt for the 850.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

What I did last week was I installed a new belt only using the tools I carry on board ( front storage box ) in my garage . I had to add 1 socket but now I know I can change my belt anywhere in about 1 hour no tow will be needed . Well worth knowing in-case the situation comes up miles from home that you can change your belt .

Quick Reply: I blew the belt in my 850