Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I blew the belt in my 850

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just some average riding on the trails, average speed was probably 45-55mph, a few mud holes, nothing over whelming. It may have been your post that stuck in my mind, i recall 65 miles per tank, so i took it semi easy, it only had 5 miles on it when i left saturday, to get 65 miles a tank i would have to really be putting it through its paces, but i was really really impressed with what i got, and the mileage is only gonna get better. so far the gas mileage gets a huge thumbs up from me

Old 04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

I got better mileage then my buddies 04500HO on a 69 mile ride. He had to gas up but I had 2 bars left. He was ridding hard to keep up though. And all that with a tight rear end spool howling away!! Which is being replaced under warrenty right now...

Old 05-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Range Rover

bump!

Old 05-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just a thought on some of the previous posts about 150hp++ sleds out there using the same belt as the sp850.
The sleds don't have a awd system that provide constant tension/stress on the tranny, not to mention they are driving in the snow. I have never driven a sled, but I would assume that they have less traction than an awd atv. That constant traction would put more stress on the primary clutch thus on the belt would it not.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by mroelike1985
Just a thought on some of the previous posts about 150hp++ sleds out there using the same belt as the sp850.
The sleds don't have a awd system that provide constant tension/stress on the tranny, not to mention they are driving in the snow. I have never driven a sled, but I would assume that they have less traction than an awd atv. That constant traction would put more stress on the primary clutch thus on the belt would it not.
They have much more traction than an ATV long 15" inch wide track...............vs four tires...........

Old 05-26-2009, 09:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by vegasdude
They have much more traction than an ATV long 15" inch wide track...............vs four tires...........

Now they have up to 24"w 156"L and over 1 ' lugs. The $1200 Sled track from a Yamaha 540 VK weighs more then 4 ATV wheels.

Atvs cant shoot up the side of a 70 degree mountain side like a mountain sled can.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:45 AM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99.9%------90% I agree (;>

Originally Posted by Koerbs
I see his point, but mine is more relevent and being I saw the rigorous belt testing sessions at polaris, I know first hand what does it. They tried to blow belts in probably a thousand different ways on many different xp machines totaling thousands and thousands of miles on the machines with no belt break in, from mile 0, they were wide open.

And the results were no different to the testing that they have done to the previous models for the past 15 years. Yes belts blew on bikes that were run at WOT, but the percentage was LESS on the xp than on the regular sportsman that was getting tested along with it and from the last 5 years stats. The motor and trans are fixed together so the flex that the regular sportsmans had is gone.

The belts on the XP that blew were the ones that stayed out in the woods or bog, running only in high. The numbers were 3 times higher than the regular sportsmans stats, but thats because of the extra power. And any high powered bike like this will blow belts or other components if you are not in the proper range. Just like I explained in my previous post about shining the belt because of the leverage, it wrecks it, it may not blow then, but it will. Oh any the XPs that ran in low range, not one of them blew a belt, and when the belts were spec'd, they were still within new specs after hundreds of miles of obsticles, mud, logs, pulling other machines out, etc. The ones in high that did the same things, looked like a hourglass from the spots where the clutch would just slip.

Now, I'm not saying that people have blown belts and they haven't done anything wrong, because we all know that everyone on here is a professionaly trained ATV rider and has the ability to give advice just because they are in front of a keyboard.

And just because people come on here with their belt issue, doesn't mean that there is a belt problem. If everyone joined on gm-trucks.com that had piston slap on their 96-99 5.7 and complained, most would think there is a problem, but it was like 0.5 percent of motors that had that, and it did nothing bad to the motor, but people made it sound like they got screwed by gm because of this, I know I didn't, I put 225,000 miles on one of these motors and never had one issue.

Just because 50 people bitch about belt issues, doesn't mean anything, and I'm sure that not one of them is forgetting to mention that they might have smoked it before it blew, because we all know that people on forums always tell the truth 100% of the time, after all, its in the user agreement right? And if someone that is posting on here admits that they might have caused the belt to break, than they couldn't get anyone to jump on the soap box with them, and if they admited fault, whats the point of posting then. Isn't this a place to put down the manufacturers and create drama because of what seems to be user error most of the time? Thats what it seems to be to me.

Polaris has its belt warranty because they know that 99.9 percent of the time when a belt goes bad, its user abuse. And thats not covered because they have done the testing and know better, and those testers are hard core, I wouldn't let them drive anything I own.

So, has anyone else on here has seen better proof of what the real problem is, please correct me.
I have to agree I will say 90% of the time it is operator error operating in high when should be in LOW,water on belt w/o drying belt & clutches,etc,etc. The other 10% will be clutch mis-alignment,clutch break down,etc. I have & do work on ALOT of Polaris,Kawasakis and CanAms. Replaced alot of belts on ALOT of them and the MAJORITY of the time its OPERATOR ERROR period...

Old 09-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Nice YOUTUBE Video but I tell ya i would definately have a jack stand under that thing you knock that hyrdo jack good and the back end could come crashing down. IMO

Seems like the clutch work is a little more cumbersome on the new XP's but then again I reckon once you do a few then its OLD HAT?

R'

Old 10-25-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Koerbs
When did I say horsepower? Its the torque, a 4 stroke has more torque than a 2 stroke, but the belt is strong enough anyway. And if you re-read my previous post about putting a load on the motor and what happens when the tires don't spin, you should understand, its in english.

i know this is 3 years old, but the guy just dicredited himself to me. why do people always thing 2 strokes have less torque? that is the dumbest thing iever hear and must clear it up. just because a 2 stroke delivrs its power much differently, doesnt mean it has less torque... torque isnt just produced at low rpms... and yeah he also claims he saw polaris do belt testing.. yeah ok