Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08' 400 lessoned learned

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool 08' 400 lessoned learned

well figured i would share my stupidity. well the 400 being down back w/ a dead battery(and i still cant move good ,so i cant hand crank it) i had made up a set of wires to use a an alt. charging way off the wire harness they have under the storage panel. anyways w/ my stored car beside it(w/ the car not running) i hooked cables up to the wires and it light up the lights good for about a second and couldnt get it to run power thur it. long story short(i know too late)there is a fuse down inside on the wire harness that is a 3 amp fuse and when i hooked up a car battery(wheeler batteries are only like 14 amp) it blw that fuse instantanly. more is dont ever try to put more then a 2 amp charger 2 that pigtial or you'll have the same issue. just a fyI for people who have these.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Wink

Thanks for sharing your stupidity so we didn't have to share in your stupidity.
PS. That would be something I would have done.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by stendori
well figured i would share my stupidity. well the 400 being down back w/ a dead battery(and i still cant move good ,so i cant hand crank it) i had made up a set of wires to use a an alt. charging way off the wire harness they have under the storage panel. anyways w/ my stored car beside it(w/ the car not running) i hooked cables up to the wires and it light up the lights good for about a second and couldnt get it to run power thur it. long story short(i know too late)there is a fuse down inside on the wire harness that is a 3 amp fuse and when i hooked up a car battery(wheeler batteries are only like 14 amp) it blw that fuse instantanly. more is dont ever try to put more then a 2 amp charger 2 that pigtial or you'll have the same issue. just a fyI for people who have these.
Thanks Stendori, I've been trying to tell my customers the same thing and also posters on the forum about the same thing and about trying to install larger batteries in their machines! Arguments about "cold cranking amps" is the only difference that a lot of people assume is the difference on larger capacity batteries,but they dont take into consideration the amperage output that car batteries and such put out and what it can do to a "14' amp rated system! I've seen my share of fried components and wiring! Good luck OPT

Old 04-11-2009, 05:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is why i keep preaching about not jumping machines(not just wheelers) w/ autos w/ 100 amp alt. or anything high out put into a system that can handle like the batteries thats in it which is like a 14 amp. a good comparsion is the next time you look at your battery say in your truck and then at your wheeler, noticed the HUGE differnce in the size of the battery cables. the larger the cable the more juice it can carry. thants why most rec. vechicles ay only to charge w/ a 2 amp charger over 8 to 10 hrs as the batteries are only 14 amp to begin w/ and over ampage can do some damage to the whole system not justthe battery. just by own .02
ps btw, i put a 5 amp fuse back in and then got it to my batt. charger and got it charged on 2 amp the rest of the day and its good to go for the owner. lol.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:32 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info you guys, I would have tried the same thing.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too.