Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear Lock and Ride Cargo box dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Lock and Ride Cargo box dimensions

I was looking into drop racks to make carrying my chainsaw a little easier on my 2008 Sportsman 500. In my search to find one, I came across the lock and ride rear box and it should fit my needs better. The only thing I am worried about is if it's big enough for my chainsaw.

Could somebody give me the inside dimensions, including the heigth?

Also, has anybody made their own backrest? $100 seems crazy for the Polaris one!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:17 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by sevensandeights
I was looking into drop racks to make carrying my chainsaw a little easier on my 2008 Sportsman 500. In my search to find one, I came across the lock and ride rear box and it should fit my needs better. The only thing I am worried about is if it's big enough for my chainsaw.

Could somebody give me the inside dimensions, including the heigth?

Also, has anybody made their own backrest? $100 seems crazy for the Polaris one!
Give me a few minutes...

OK, these are rough measurements (it's raining out, and ATV is only under cover... not in shed LOL)

Anyhow, inside length is about 36" except the two recessed areas that are taken up by the lock & ride retainer on the outside. That area is about 31 1/2" long.

Inside width is around 9".

Inside height is roughly 8 1/2" inches.

If it's any help, my Stihl 290 Farm Boss wouldn't fit width wise or height wise... the handle and bar brake are to wide and high.

I ended up getting the front metal rack, and strap the chainsaw down good with a couple of bungy cords.

HTH

Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can check the Dim. when I get home if they are not up by then. As far as the back rest, I got my girlfriend to sew a couple Velcro strips on the back of a pillow and used 2 sided tape on the box for the other side of the Velcro. The pillow is more comfortable than the backrest, and it doesn't get too dirty since someone is generally leaning against it. If it gets dirty I will just by another $10 pillow and do it again. $100 is crazy!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

Bummer, it doesn't look like it's going to work. I need no less than 9" wide and 11.5" high.

If somebody could get me the exact dimensions I would appreciate it.

Also, can you separate the lid from the box or is it always attached? I wouldn't mind riding around with the lid off when I did chainsaw work but then could put it back on for better protection with small items.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by sevensandeights
Bummer, it doesn't look like it's going to work. I need no less than 9" wide and 11.5" high.

If somebody could get me the exact dimensions I would appreciate it.

Also, can you separate the lid from the box or is it always attached? I wouldn't mind riding around with the lid off when I did chainsaw work but then could put it back on for better protection with small items.
My measurements were rough, but pretty close. There's no way that it's 11.5" high.
Don't think you can separate the lid from the box.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Check out mongrol's recent thread, he built one himself, and It looks work very good

Old 04-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Old 04-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

I saw that thread when he posted it and his idea turned out well. My only issue is that I want a rear storage box anyway so I'm trying to find something that will accomodate my saw. The othe issue is that I don't have the add-on rails around the perimeter of my rack so I would have to modify his idea (not that it would be too difficult though).

I may start a new thread comparing drop racks versus bolting on larger cargo box (something like a diamond plate tool box or plastic foot locker/storage trunk).