Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Axle removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle removal?

I have a 2001 Polaris sportsman 500 HO.
I am changing the rear axles, but I am not able to get the axle to come out. I have all the components removed and I just need to pull the axle out of the rear of the transmission. The book says to hold axle straight out and pull sharply.... this is not working.

Help?

Thanks John

Old 04-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sometimes on the older models that has never been apart it gets crap and rust in there. there is a spring c clip in side on the shaft that holds it in. the book is correct, but sometimes if you spray some penetraing oil in there and let it set and then take pry bars carefully pry outward while you pull (snap it)on the cv.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer
Default I have tried...

I have sprayed some wd40 and tried using the pry bars while quickly yanking the axle...nothing. I have read alot of threads about this repair, but noting seems to work.
I guess I will keep yanking.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that circlip design is a very faulty design imo. i think the rollpin assembly they had before was much better. it may have been a pain to get the pin out but atleast it would come out. if rust gets built up in the circlip area, theres not wehre to the circlip to compress too, which is why your having problems getting the axle off

Old 04-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Just hold on and put all ur weight into quick sharp pulls

Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

I heard the dealer once talking to a customer he said try and get the other side out then try the first side again . I don't really know what he meant unless you can drive the Axel out from the other side .

Old 04-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer

I couldn't get mine out either until I used an air hammer with a flat hammer bit on the side of the cv housing while prying between the cv and the gearcase. It came out in about 5 seconds and didn't hurt a thing.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Axle

Ditto on the penetrating oil and carefully prying. If you have someone that can assist have them use a prybar on each side of the cv while you pull. Once you get it off be sure to coat it with never seize before popping back in. Saves a lot of trouble down the road!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by switzomatic
Ditto on the penetrating oil and carefully prying. If you have someone that can assist have them use a prybar on each side of the cv while you pull. Once you get it off be sure to coat it with never seize before popping back in. Saves a lot of trouble down the road!
agreed +1

Old 04-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spdecat
I heard the dealer once talking to a customer he said try and get the other side out then try the first side again . I don't really know what he meant unless you can drive the Axel out from the other side .
that would be kind of a weird thing to tell a customer since you cant drive it thur the other side that i know off.

Quick Reply: Axle removal?