Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Newbie with an oldie and some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with an oldie and some questions

Hello to everyone, I just purchased a 91 Trail Boss 250 4x4 looks and runs like new original tires have over 50% tread left. I'm not too familiar with the Polaris line but when i saw a 2 stroke 4x4 for under 1500 i had to have it. I'm just wondering what is still available to make some more power and also to replace the stock exhaust as it's the only thing that has rust on it. I saw a DG extreme pipe with silencer that's listed for the 88 to like 94 trail boss 250 but doesn't say if it will work for the 4x4's or not and no answer back yet from sellers website. I have ordered a new set of Boyseen power reeds and also a uni filter just to do some of my own piece of mind maintenence and I was wondering if tis will require rejetting or if I can just retne the carb? Aby info about this wheeler is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call rick ritter. he knows these machines inside and out. just let him know what your looking for performance wise and hell have it! rittercycle.com i believe is the website

Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

are you sure its a 250? because i dont think polaris 250 motors have reeds in them

Old 05-02-2009, 05:22 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is a ton of mods can be done to the 250 engine and would agree that rick could set you up or at steer you in the right direction.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Originally Posted by thomasakehoe
Hello to everyone, I just purchased a 91 Trail Boss 250 4x4 looks and runs like new original tires have over 50% tread left. I'm not too familiar with the Polaris line but when i saw a 2 stroke 4x4 for under 1500 i had to have it. I'm just wondering what is still available to make some more power and also to replace the stock exhaust as it's the only thing that has rust on it. I saw a DG extreme pipe with silencer that's listed for the 88 to like 94 trail boss 250 but doesn't say if it will work for the 4x4's or not and no answer back yet from sellers website. I have ordered a new set of Boyseen power reeds and also a uni filter just to do some of my own piece of mind maintenence and I was wondering if tis will require rejetting or if I can just retne the carb? Aby info about this wheeler is greatly appreciated.
DOnt waist $$$$$ on a DG go with either Aaen or RcR for pipe,jetting and clutching for the pipe.You dont have reeds in a 250 Polaris.A 250 4x4 will respond good to just a primary spring change with a good air filter.
The only thing I can advise yiou on with this is to keep ALLL the chains adjusted

Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK so the Polaris 250 2 strokes don't use a reed cage how does the engine control the induction, sorry this seems dumb but the other 2 strokes i have had all used a reed cage assembly, and I'm stuck on the couch for the next several weeks with a broken knee and torn acl so i cant really go out and pull things apart to get an idea of how it all works i did order a Clymers service manual but hasn't arrived yet. Most of the guys around here are riding newer yamahas and hondas so i have nothing to compare with really. I just want to get a little more top end speed and some more torque as i do a lot of steep hills etc... Any information about the engine and what parts work and will fit the 4x4 (didnt know if the exhausts were the same as the 2x4 designs etc...

Old 05-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by eggenz7
are you sure its a 250? because i dont think polaris 250 motors have reeds in them

exactly!

i wonder where he ordered them from?

i think if it runs like new you should ride it first and see how it feels and then go from there

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Originally Posted by thomasakehoe
OK so the Polaris 250 2 strokes don't use a reed cage how does the engine control the induction, sorry this seems dumb but the other 2 strokes i have had all used a reed cage assembly, and I'm stuck on the couch for the next several weeks with a broken knee and torn acl so i cant really go out and pull things apart to get an idea of how it all works i did order a Clymers service manual but hasn't arrived yet. Most of the guys around here are riding newer yamahas and hondas so i have nothing to compare with really. I just want to get a little more top end speed and some more torque as i do a lot of steep hills etc... Any information about the engine and what parts work and will fit the 4x4 (didnt know if the exhausts were the same as the 2x4 designs etc...
The 250 Polaris is a piston port design 2stroke and doesnt require a reed valve.
You are not going to make this a screamer by no means but it will run respectably with other 4x4s.Aaen used to carry a good pipe for these but with any pipe change you will HAVE to reclutch to the pipe.RcR may still have or be able to make you a pipe.
You will be limited on the gearing on yur 4x4 due to the 3 chain system and keeping the 4x4 working properly.
For some good power advice pm drlang on this forum he used to drag race a modded 250

Old 05-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys thanks for the info, I found out after doing some research online that Polaris did make a 250 reed engine, just not mine LOL. Like I said I'm off my feet for a while so basically, I am trying to do things to keep me from going stir crazy. The reeds I ordered are Boyseen power reeds and were listed for the Trailboss 250 so hoping I can get a refund. So basically I'm just trying to find out whats out there and what really works. Ive never owned a full auto atv so I have no clue about how the clutching works. The day before I smashed my knee I did a full adjustment of all three chains and also relubed them so thats all good. Im planning on cleaning and rebuilding the carb and as stated before installing the uni filter, was curious if I should remove the foam pre filter from the top of the factory air box as the uni has a 2 stage filter or just leave it alone? And any information about getting new springs to match the pipes or even just general info on how the PVT system works is welcome thanks to everyone here.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Quad Patrol

Show me where POlaris made reed inducted 250s
HPD and AZ bad boys made conversions but no factory reeed valves not even on the Cyclone

Quick Reply: Newbie with an oldie and some questions