Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

So I just picked up my first quad...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking So I just picked up my first quad...

What's up everyone...picked up my first quad today I got a

09 sportsman xp 550 w/eps

Very happy with it. I know I didn't follow the rule that a new quad owner should get a used one and I didn't get the more powerful 850 but the price wasn't right and to be my first quad thought it was too powerful for me (feel free to laugh) But if everything goes well I might be giving it to my wife in a yr or two and might upgrade to a big-bore (hopefully a 850XP 2-up if they make it) but I think its more than enough power for me right now. Anyone want to give me their thoughts.

....oh yeah hello everyone its my first post too

Old 05-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Talking

hey welcome to the forums, post up some pics when you get time

Now your ready for some mods=)

Old 05-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the Forum.
You will enjoy that quad.
I have a 05 400 and get to thinking ,once in a while,that I need more power but then I realize that for the riding I do,mostly icefishing,what do I need more power for??

Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new machine!

Nothing wrong with a 550 class machine, The thing has enough power that you wont have to upgrade to an 850 in the future. It should do just about everything you will ever need it to unless you get some false ideas that it should do what a tractor can lol

Old 05-15-2009, 02:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Congrats and welcome,
If there's such thing as a rule of new quad owners getting used quads, you broke it right!That's a real nice ride, I really like the way they redesigned it.Coincidently I was reading the May 09 issue of ATV magazine last night,it won their 4x4 shoot out.

I wouldn't worry about it having too much power(as you'll probably appreciate it), but if you're new to riding them, you really should take the safety course Polaris offers, then go out a have fun with that baby.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 AM
Trailblazer

Congrats and welcome!

Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum family abd condrs on your choice of the 550. it should serve you well and ask any questions you might have from these good people.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Jagman

I wouldn't worry about it having too much power(as you'll probably appreciate it), but if you're new to riding them, you really should take the safety course Polaris offers, then go out a have fun with that baby.
Not sure if they offer it is other states but in MN when you buy a new Polaris and take the free safety course they give you a $100 gift certificate for Polaris accesories at the dealer you bought from. We have taken the course with each machine purchase 2 of us at a time gtets you $100/each for spending about 4 hours on a Saturday with some basic safety techniques and also some hand signals.

Most important congrats on the new machine. Be safe have fun and don't forget your helmet.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider

First welcome to the forum! The collective knowledge of the guys in this forum is amazing. I am a newbie myself and I usually will state that in a post where I am giving my opinion but alot of these other guys have years of knowledge and experience and we are lucky that they are willing to share it which helps all of us.

I've been involved with all kinds of motorsports all my life but this is my first venture with ATV's beside using one as a pusher for the sprint cars. I also bought new and bought a 550 for use by my wife, kids or friends and the 850 for myself. I always have liked HP so the 850 is nice but I will say that the 550 IMO is the perfect size quad.

Enjoy the new ride and I am sure you will love it! Don't forget to post your thoughts after your first ride and don't forget the pic's, we love the pics.

- brian

Old 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Quick Reply: So I just picked up my first quad...