Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2009 xp850 drivetrain clunking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 xp850 drivetrain clunking?

Anyone out there with a new XP noticing a clunk when u put it in drive and take off and same if you put it into reverse..you hear a clunk? Also if you are driving it and its under a load..and then u let off the throttle...I also notice it when there is load and no load on the drivetrain. It didn't do it when it was new, and now I got about 200 miles on her..and i'm noticing some slop. Normal? What u guys think. All the dealers say its normal.

Brian

Old 05-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

I just got mine back. I had it in for not only clunking putting it into gear, but also a steady clunk when rolling. The dealer had it for a month. They ended up replacing the rear universal and both rear axles. They also told me that according to polaris, some clunking is normal with a machine with "miles". My quad has 604 miles on her. Mrs BMQ's 850 has 225 and has no drivetrain noise whatsoever. Keep in mind, the local trails have been closed for the last 2 months for mud season, so both quads have only been ridden on snow covered trails since purchased (mine in November, Mrs BMQ's in February). Pretty easy riding. The dealer actually put on the RO "able to fix, is normal with machine with miles on it". What total BS! I'll be out on trails Sunday & will see just how much noise the drivetrain has after a full day of real trailriding.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

mine has the same noised there is a clicking noise in the rear drive train somewhere, before i took delivery they put new rear cvs on it and it didnt change anything. It also has a slight clunk in the tranny when u put it in gear or shift from forward to reverse like its really not going into gear untill u give it some juice from what ive read on here that seems to be the nature of the beast.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

It is on some, but not on others. My 850 clunks, but Mrs BMQ's does not. We'll see what hers does after 300 more miles

Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

I noticed the same on my new XP 850...which only has maybe 20 or 30 miles. When I put it in "H", "L", or "R"...I get that same clunk with hesitation. I have never owned a Sportsman...and figured it was normal with a belt drive tranny.

I'll keep an "ear" on it...and see if the noise increases or stays the same. This is a good thread to have here on the forum.

biz

Old 05-20-2009, 05:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dont know about the newer bikes, but polaris is famous for thier driveline back lash. a little slop is normal.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stendori
dont know about the newer bikes, but polaris is famous for thier driveline back lash. a little slop is normal.
That's all I needed to read!

"Normal" is good!

biz

Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a wha wha wha noise in mine. Its like a tire out of round when you run on tar. Some of the tires are out of round, but this noise is coming from the drive train. When I run in the field on soft dirt about 25 miles an hour, I still have the same noise.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Range Rover

my scrambler has a clunking sound also. usually starts after ridin for half hour or after goin up some hills... i have no idea wat it is and im startin to get scared... also the "stealers" around here are kinda pr*ckish so i dont know wat to do

Old 05-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by biz4two
I noticed the same on my new XP 850...which only has maybe 20 or 30 miles. When I put it in "H", "L", or "R"...I get that same clunk with hesitation. I have never owned a Sportsman...and figured it was normal with a belt drive tranny.

I'll keep an "ear" on it...and see if the noise increases or stays the same. This is a good thread to have here on the forum.

biz
I had the very same complaint and started a post on the subject. Like you, this is my first Sportsman. I'm very happy with my machine other than this. My machine has 160 miles.

Quick Reply: 2009 xp850 drivetrain clunking?