Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XPs metal frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009 | 07:57 AM
Pro Rider

The only parts of the frame that are not steel are the two removable sections..one for engine removal the other for clutch cover removal..not sure if they are alum,magnesium or and alloy..very light with a strange feel(ie doesn't seem to hold heat or cold like regular steel and alum) The clutch cover removal section is sort of a dished 1/4 moon shaped with numerous cross braces. The engine removal section is a beefy I beam shape also with numerous X shaped cross braces..looks pretty stout to me.

Old 05-22-2009 | 03:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default bent a-arm tabs

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
I haven't heard anything like that. Also haven't heard of anyone bending an XP frame. If I had to guess I'd say people are making ASSumptions based on the XP looking sportier and narrower in the center and the fact that they went to a tubular frame..but if you look at how it is designed it seems like it would be extremely strong..the frame is very centralized with alot of bracing. I really dont see bending the frame without being in a pretty severe crash..I'd say if you bend the XP frame,with exception of maybe the a-arm mount tabs(which I don't consider really the frame) the frame will be the last of your worries..youll be more beat up than the bike JMO.
They definitely didn't cut any weight..the 850 weighs around 784 dry IIRC.
do your front a-arm tabs hace a slight wrinkle in them too?
mine do wtf

Old 05-22-2009 | 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by pdl9
do your front a-arm tabs hace a slight wrinkle in them too?
mine do wtf
Nope..no wrinke at all..the only reason I mentioned the tabs before is because they should be the weak link as far as the frame goes..rather have a tab bend or break off then a frame tube bend....

Old 05-22-2009 | 10:06 PM
|
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I don't know much about steel fabrication but when we discuss this topic I notice conversations lean toward the alloy material and design (all important!) but what about
the integrity of the welds? Could a new frame like we have in the XP class be a little inferior to its close cousin in its structural binds?

Regards,

R'

Old 05-23-2009 | 06:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

seems like if there any frame issues of being weak of some sorts they would have shown up by now w/ all the xp's out there and w/ some good miles on them for sure. i know a few of the can ams i remember hearing bad frame issues w/ shortly after they were out, so i would assume we would hering about the xp's as well. imo

Old 05-23-2009 | 03:19 PM
|
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea that is why I started this thread to balance this off you all. It didn't sound true from the beginning. But then again with the high dollar of these new Xp's maybe people are taking less chances? Naaa I doubt that! LOL...LOL

Cheers,

R'