Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Scramber 500 Not Chraging But Runs Fine

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009 | 08:52 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2000 Scramber 500 Not Chraging But Runs Fine

Alright so I bought a rolled 2000 Scrambler 500 4x4 that had sat for a few years. I replaced things like the rad, rims, axle and other bent parts. I put in a brand spanking new battery and it fired up like nothing rode it around the farm a few times put maybe 40km on it turning it off and on and it would fire up every time no problem. Went out for the first real ride and half way through the ride it began to have a hard time starting off the starter. A few more miles down the road it would click the solenoid but not crank the engine, the lights hardly come on at all, the fan hardly turns but the engine continues to run amazing no misses or anything. Heard all this talk of the rectifier/regulator so I yanked the one off my 2003 Scrambler but it did not seem to change at all. I pulled the battery completely to see if the little bit of power in the engine is what was keeping it with spark. The engine still ran amazing all through the RPM no missing or anything. Any ideas here I do not want to rip out the stator if I do not have to. But if the stator was actually gone would the engine have spark at all?? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Old 05-25-2009 | 09:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by BrokenRider
Alright so I bought a rolled 2000 Scrambler 500 4x4 that had sat for a few years. I replaced things like the rad, rims, axle and other bent parts. I put in a brand spanking new battery and it fired up like nothing rode it around the farm a few times put maybe 40km on it turning it off and on and it would fire up every time no problem. Went out for the first real ride and half way through the ride it began to have a hard time starting off the starter. A few more miles down the road it would click the solenoid but not crank the engine, the lights hardly come on at all, the fan hardly turns but the engine continues to run amazing no misses or anything. Heard all this talk of the rectifier/regulator so I yanked the one off my 2003 Scrambler but it did not seem to change at all. I pulled the battery completely to see if the little bit of power in the engine is what was keeping it with spark. The engine still ran amazing all through the RPM no missing or anything. Any ideas here I do not want to rip out the stator if I do not have to. But if the stator was actually gone would the engine have spark at all?? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
The older engines were "magnetically triggered" stator systems which meant it would crank without/or have a dead battery,BUT as you have found if reg/rectifier or stator charge coil bad, the battery would soon drain,lights dim,and no fan for the lack of 12 volts to kick it on. If replacement reg/rectifier same number and would charge on the scrambler,I would suspect the stator charge coil (yellow and yellow/red wire from stator) hopefully some posters can give the resistance specs, if not I can look em up! Good luck

Old 05-25-2009 | 09:58 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Wicked Ill look into that ASAP. Now for another question I have a stator for a 2003 Scrambler would it fit on the 2000?? Update here I just checked the voltage at the battery with a multimeter RPM right up the max it would pull was a 8.05.

Old 05-26-2009 | 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

Fully charged battery should be 12.5 volts, when machine is running with a little extra rpm you should read 14 to 14.5 volts, I think the 03 stator should work, you can look up the part #s on bike bandit.