Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 Trailblazer 250 Starter not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 91Warrior357
so those other 2 bolts are kinda like extra support bolts or something? and im assuming when you take those out they wont line back up to be able to get them fastened back in without screwing around with clutchside?

yes they just support the clutch end of the starter motor , and you only get about a 1/16 of a turn on them taking them out if your lucky so getting them started is almost impossible with no room for your fingers in there , just to let you know if you have the clutch pullers it only adds about 20 minutes to the job to actually pull the clutches and covers and do it that way, plus its a good time to inspect the clutches and belt at the same time and clean the gunk from behind the inner cover
just my .02

and many polaris sled primary pullers are the same

Old 06-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got done rebuilding this starter myself. Same symptoms you had, the button works and solenoid clicks. Before you pull the starter take a jump start pack, put the black to a good ground and try applying power directly to the starter wire terminal on the starter. use the on/off switch on the jump pack if you can to avoid arcing the wire to the terminal. if no go then i would agree that removing the clutch cover, driven and drive clutches make it much easier to get to the two bolts that hold the back of the starter up to the bottom of the engine on the clutch side. make sure you pull the recoil housing because there are two bolts in there that also hold the starter on that side. i think there are 6 bolts total. if you see any gas or crud in the reduction gears or starter check the seal behind the recoil and that may be why starter went bad. mine wore out one brush and wouldnt turn over anymore. brush kit is easy to find on ebay i think ricky's electrical was $25. replace bearings and sleeves while you are in there. use easy-out to pul sleeves out and be careful not to damage inside "stator" if you put it in a vise. pm me if you need any help i'll give you my # if i can help i will