Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 700 slug! Whats the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 700 slug! Whats the deal?

I am new to the Polaris atv's and am not impressed so far. I used to run a Grizzly 660. My buddy has a 04 600 twin (carb) sportsman that alaways was reliable and seemed well powered for a 600 so I got sick of breaking axles in my yamaha and decided to try a sportsman 700 twin (carb). Now the guy I bought it from said it was an 04 1/2. I had a dealer try looking up my serial number to see if it is an early or late model 04 and it comes up invalid but even the dealer said its not altered on the frame they cant figure it out. that i dont mind except some parts when you order them need to be specified early or late model! Any Ideas? Its Blue says 700 in red.
My next and biggest problem is its a dog!! Yes i Know its heavier than im used to but come on. Realy! 48MPH!!! And Try climing over a log in high range the belt burns. I do have 27" tires but my 660 yamaha had no problem with them. In Low range it cant even get reved all the way up in the soupy mud or the loose bogs. It doesnt have the power. I put all new fluids all the way around new belt, new gas and air filters, cleaned carb.
Wheres the power? My buddy has 26" tires on his 600 twin and it revs up in the mud (little less agresive tread) and does 60 mph.
I checked the jets. They are the right ones. 155 on bottom and 160 on top the rest are not adjustable or removeable.
Another problem when I spin the tires in 2wheel drive the 4 wheel drive kicks in. That sucks! I was told this was from using the wrong fluid so I put new stuff from the dealer in and it helped a little but still does it when rear tires start slipping. All other sportsman ive seen dont do this.
I am lost with this thing. Some one have any answers I like the ride and big body and true 4x4 so i dont wanna sell it. It only has 1500 miles on it. It starts no choke and purrs even when its been sitting for a few days.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

If your 700 has the fuel gauge its an 04.5. Have you inspected both the clutches? Its also a good ideal to clean the primary sheaves when you replace the belt. Has anyone put a clutch kit in it? You might want to do a compression check on the engine. As for the 4wheel drive kicking in you probably got a broke cage in the front differential.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

No its bone stock theres no clutch kit. I did inspect the clutches when I put the belt on but only blew compressed air through the clutches dint clean them. Thanks for your help though I appreciate it. Any suggestions on clutch kits and lower priced power boosters I see you've built quite the power house. I just finnished college so cant spend alot on this slug. Do cams make much difference? do I have to change much besides the cam if I put one in? And do clutch kits matter with them?

Old 06-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

My 03 700 would do close to 65mph with just a cam and exhaust upgrade. I would try to find out your problem before upgrading anything.

I would take the belt off and take a soapy scotch bright pad and clean the sheaves on the primary. Do you remember which secondary you had? Heres the 2 that come on your model. http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp Depending on the secondary you could have some worn parts or weak spring. You can put a mark on the primary clutch (from the center to the top)with a marker and run it down the road at top speed and see if you have any mark left. If you have any mark toward the top your clutch is not shifting out. Also whats your wot rpms?

After you get this fixed I'll point you toward some performance parts .

Old 06-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

I read something about putting an 800 snorkel and head pipe on a 700. Do a search on that. Also clutching is the story on a Polaris. Erlandson performance (EPI) is good.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

MY Trailblazer almsot does 48...

Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default Speed

I have a Polaris Hawkeye 300cc that will go that fast. Yes something isn't right.....

Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sportsman70003...... My top RPM is 5770. What should it be? And when I put the new belt on about 50 miles ago I used steel wool and fine emery cloth to sand the clutch shivs. Ill take the belt cover off tommorrow and try marking the primary clutch and let you know tommorrow night if any of the mark is left. Im starting to think it is in the clutches. I went walleye fishing tonight and pulled a boat (not real heavy) and two buddys and if i let the rpms get low but steady it would get dogy and if i bumped up the throttle a little it got better. Should i just put a clutch kit in? If so what one and remember I have 27" tires other wise its stock and a small budget haha.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

I would bet money on worn / dirty clutches. EPI clutch kit is the best bang for the buck on these 700's even brand new. The stock clutching sucks...(and burns belts). My 700 revs to a little over 6000 rpms, and does about 65. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

It's a hard problem to spot but check out the foam seal around the breather tube under the front of the seat. If any of it is out of place it will block the airflow and cause the problem you are talking about.

Quick Reply: 04 700 slug! Whats the deal?