Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 scrambler belt ripping question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 scrambler belt ripping question

Hey everyone, new member here, located in Florida, I got a good deal (I hope) on a 01 scrambler 4x4 500cc. What its doing is eating a belt in no time, like not even an hour. below are some pics of it. not sure what to look for, I read somewhere on here something about the belt drums or whatever they are called but these dont have any grooves or anything, just really smooth. Anyone have some suggestions for me please or do I just need to get rid of it ? it starts right up and runs great, has ITP rims and some paddle tires on it and I guess a clutch kit or something. Dont really know much more then that about it. thanks for any help !

Name:  100_1231.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  111.0 KB

Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

First thing I would check would be the motor mounts. Make sure the motor is not moving around. Grab ahold of the front drive clutch and look at the motor mounts as your try to move the motor up and down front to back see if any of the rubber mounts are broken. The second thing I would inspect would be both clutches. First clean them up real good and then check the weight bushings and rollers and make sure nothing is binding up and also take the secondary clutch apart and check the ramp buttons on it and also bushings. More then likely 1 of these 3 places is your problem. Hope that helps.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

Just checked the motor mounts, the motor wont budge with all the force I try lifting it and side to side, I can see them visually as well and they look good. I gotta figure out how to get the clutch off and I thought there was only 1 clutch on the bike unless I am missunderstanding something. I looked around for a schematic of some sort of how to take this apart and such and was unsuccesful. any ideas if there is something online somewhere I may have missed ? thank you for your time !

Old 07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

also when the engine is runing you can watch the clutch go in and out pretty smooth, you have to rev it alittle high but she goes is smooth and out smooth as well. just when the belt is on its really loose, you barely have to roll it over the transmission pulley to get it on. Do the bells need to be smooth or scratched up with like a scotch brite pad or something ?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

Just found a video of the old guy changing out the belt on you tube, something about a 1 way bearing on the primary clutch ? he takes his finger and reaches in there and rolls something down in the middle, I am taking it is a bearing of some sort ? when I do the same thing mine doesnt move at all ? any thoughts ?

Old 07-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

just judging by your pics you posted, theres obviously something wrong with your secondary clutch.(the rear pulley) it should not be spread apart like that. take that apart and i bet youll find the problem.

X

Old 07-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by scramblerXrated
just judging by your pics you posted, theres obviously something wrong with your secondary clutch.(the rear pulley) it should not be spread apart like that. take that apart and i bet youll find the problem.

X
Hot dam, I just came back inside from messing with that, funny you say that, I got to looking at it sitting out there and couldn't figure out why the belt was sagging so much, so i took it off and layed it over on the ground and (dont laugh) but put both feet on it and it poped down, I turned it over and there was a small peice of metal (round) sitting inbetween the shaft and the bell. I took it out and put it on the 4 wheeler with a belt that I have that isnt in the best condition and it seemed to move alot better, now I gotta get another belt. hopefully this fixes it. thank you

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer
Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it may just be the camera but to me it seems that the secondary is tilted slightly. looks like the rear of it is sucked towards the transmission. could be another problem

Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

well if it was a round piece of metal, say, 1/8 inch diameter? then do doubt its part of the secondary spring inside. probably caused by the previous owner pre loading the clutch in the wrong direction, when they installed the clutch kit you mentioned. if its broken, then you must replace it. when you do, make sure you pre load it properly.

it might not hurt to take it to your dealer and have them check the alignment of the two clutches. its an easy job, but it takes a special tool. if you took it to them with the cover off, they might not even charge you for it. worth a shot.

X

Quick Reply: 01 scrambler belt ripping question