Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Trail Boss 330 Carb/Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009 | 04:25 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2005 Trail Boss 330 Carb/Idle

I have read several of the threads on Trail Boss 330's. And many of them seem closely related to the problems I am having but not exactly.

The bike will start up ok, it is a bit hard to start but most polaris quads are. However, it will run for a short period (3-5 mins) just fine then have a rough erratic idle and then just die out like it either flooded or staved of fuel. It will not start after it does this for about an hour then I can start it back up but the same problem happens again. I checked the float to see if there was fuel and there was. Here's what I have done thus far:

I dismantled the carburetor, cleaned and blew out all the ports. I removed the needle and cleaned it, I removed the float and spring and cleaned them. I opened and cleaned out the diverter valve. I put all this back together and have the same problems still. I have replaced the spark plug as well as put carb cleaner in the tank and then after no success drained the tank and replaced the fuel. I also check flow through all the ports. I have tried all these things with and without the air box just in case it was air flow.

If someone can tell me what I am overlooking or need to change or adjust after so long PLEASE HELP.

Thanks soooo much.

Rich

Old 07-10-2009 | 04:27 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Have you checked the vent tube on the gas tank for any kinks or clogs?

Old 07-10-2009 | 06:48 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Vent Tube

Yes, I have checked the vent tube and tried just running with the cap off.

Would/Could this be answered by a needle of jet problem? If so, how would I go about fixing/adjusting this? Where is the Jet (Within the Carb)? What setting on the rings is optimal for the needle?

Rich

Old 07-10-2009 | 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

it sounds like an air leak to me...might try a leak down test to check gaskets/seals

Old 07-11-2009 | 11:55 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Leak Test???

How would this test be performed? Is it something I would need to have a service department do? Would it be for a fluid leak or an Air Leak? This bike only has 30 hours on it??? Its my wifes, could it be anything else?

Rich

Old 07-17-2009 | 09:10 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Help!!!

Does Anyone have a clue on this? 3 weeks till ride day!!!

Old 07-18-2009 | 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

you already migth have check for a cloged fuel filter?more than likely not ......when it died and wont restart for a hour.... it cools off... when it stalls check for spark possible coil break down when warmed up... also how far do you have you pilot jet turned out?.... you should bottom it out lightly of course and start with 1-1/2 to 2 turns out....and check the choke that it is coming off and not sticking on part way this will flood it to a stall also...just my 2 cents...

Old 07-22-2009 | 01:06 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Question Running but Not Yet Good.

ok so Ive finally got it where it will run constantly. It seems to have been many mis adjustments on the idle, choke, throttle cable and a dirty carburetor. However, now it will hold idle and run good with the airbox. But, when I add the airbox it bogs out on the top half. I can take the air box off it will run fine. I need help knowing which pilot to adjust to regulate the air flow inside the carburetor. There is the big pilot on the bottom of the needle (fuel misture I think) and the smaller pilot (air mixture I think). Is that correct? How tight or how many turns out should both of these pilots be set at to get proper air and fuel mixture? I currently have the bigger pilot set all the way in and the smaller pilot set at 1 1/2 turns out. Is there something else I should be checking to assure proper mixture or air flow?
Thanks for all the help so far.
Rich

Old 07-25-2009 | 12:05 AM
Trailblazer

they shouldnt be all the way in.... try 2 complete turns out.... when your turning them out are you counting one complete turn as 360 deg... not slot turns?