Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATV not getting fuel- puzzled

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever check the compression?

I am thinking maybe a broken or bent valve stem. That would explain no fuel getting to the chamber and could have easily been caused by a deep water crossing.
You can't bend a valve by hydro'ing an engine.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

If the needle valve has corrosion on it it would prevent the fuel from reaching the motor. I had the same problem on a brand new atv for my son when I looked at the needle valve it was corroded. Just replaced the carb with a new one and it works flawless now.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I would do to test it would be spray a little carb cleaner or some ether down the carb and see if it will fire up with that. If it fires up at all, that will tell you the carb is not delivering fuel properly. If it doesn't, it could indicate the problem is a little further down the line. At the very least, you can eliminate the carb as the problem.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Range Rover

I emailed the previous owner and this is some of the info she relayed back to me. Any ideas. I'm gonna recheck the stator to see if it was done right.

I found a loose hose to the carb and now have gas on the spark plug, so the engine is getting fuel now.

Previous owner
The chain, starter, and tires were all changed by a mechanic. The carburetor was also cleaned by them. The ignition coil, stator, and pulsar coil were changed at home in an effort to troubleshoot the problem. I don't believe there was any water damage to the parts. I read that an electrical insulating resin needs to be applied to the wire connections on the stator to prevent water and dirt from shorting out the coils, which we did not do. I don't think the mud puddle was very deep, but the ATV ran for a few minutes afterward, started losing power and died. Then of course it wouldn't start after that. Also, at times it did have a high idle and was hard to shift into gear.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Range Rover

So, I just got done taking the flywheel off to the stator and found the exciting coil and stator wires were barely(don't even think one set of wires were touching) in contact with the wires they conect to.

Just for a double check, does anyone know what colors the two stator wires go to and what colors the exciting coil wires go to? I am looking for online manuals to purchace right now, but if anyone has any idea, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Range Rover

I'm sure this is posted somewhere else, but I just did a solid compression test reading a few hours ago and didn't have much- 30lbs.

So I started the process of tearing down the motor.

Got all the bolts off to pull the head, how do I go abouts disconnecting the piston head?

Thanks!
1998 Polaris Xpress 300

Old 08-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Range Rover

I'm sure this is posted somewhere else, but I just did a solid compression test reading a few hours ago and didn't have much- 30lbs.

So I started the process of tearing down the motor.

Got all the bolts off to pull the head, how do I go abouts disconnecting the piston head?

Thanks!
1998 Polaris Xpress 300

Kelly