Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Sportsman 800 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009 | 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

My WAG. You have driven it enough to gum up the injectors from the old gas. I'd top up with fresh fuel and run some SeaFoam in the gas. I would also change the fuel filter. It probably just needs riding. Put a tank of SeaFoam through it, and I'll bet it will be fine.

Old 08-11-2009 | 05:29 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

What do you think about that Polaris Carbon Clean stuff vs the seafoam? BTW where is the fuel filter located? I was trying to figure out how to drain the gas and also replace the fuel filter. The only fuel lines I have seen are underneath the handlebar headlight.

Old 08-11-2009 | 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ABurns
What do you think about that Polaris Carbon Clean stuff vs the seafoam? BTW where is the fuel filter located? I was trying to figure out how to drain the gas and also replace the fuel filter. The only fuel lines I have seen are underneath the handlebar headlight.

I believe the Carbon Clean is an additive to clean the carbon out of the cylinder and valves, were the SeaFoam cleans the fuel system, and conditions the fuel.

I believe the fuel filter is mounted under the gas tank, in front of it, in its own little 'pocket'. I can't tell for sure, looking at the diagram on Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories ? BikeBandit.com.

You can empty the tank by siphoning the gas out, having a friend help you remove the full tank, or buying a fuel transfer pump like this one.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Old 08-12-2009 | 06:46 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I drained all of the fuel out of the system using a transfer pump from autozone. I put 2 gallons of 89 octane fuel mixed with 2 ounces of sea foam. Fired it up. After 5 mins the rpm surge did not seem has drastic. After 10 minutes it still had a very slight rpm bump. At 15 mins it seemed almost normal.

I am going to actually take it out riding this week and bring along an additional 4 gallons of fresh gasoline. I think I will run the above mixture down to near empty and then fill the tank with gasoline minus the sea foam. I also plan of buying the t-bap kit to have on hand so I don't get stuck.

Everyones information here was very helpful. Having the diagrams from bikebandit.com is fantastic.

Old 08-12-2009 | 07:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ABurns
I drained all of the fuel out of the system using a transfer pump from autozone. I put 2 gallons of 89 octane fuel mixed with 2 ounces of sea foam. Fired it up. After 5 mins the rpm surge did not seem has drastic. After 10 minutes it still had a very slight rpm bump. At 15 mins it seemed almost normal.

I am going to actually take it out riding this week and bring along an additional 4 gallons of fresh gasoline. I think I will run the above mixture down to near empty and then fill the tank with gasoline minus the sea foam. I also plan of buying the t-bap kit to have on hand so I don't get stuck.

Everyones information here was very helpful. Having the diagrams from bikebandit.com is fantastic.
Sounds great, have fun and be safe.

Old 08-13-2009 | 07:16 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Just an update. I haven't gone riding yet, but I can't leave it alone when I remember how smooth is ran last week. Anyway, it was still kind of grumbling, so I look inside the TB and it was black. I sprayed it down with 3M Throttle Plate cleaner and then fired it up. It seems to be running good now. I tried to take it easy on the cleaner, hopefully everything is fine. I've got no codes and it seems happy. For whatever it is worth, I am going to change the oil and add fresh gasoline to dilute the 3ounces of Sea Foam that is currently in there.

On a side note, the computer shows a full tank of gas, only has over half. Is this because I entered diagnostic mode? I opened the gas cap and saw a lot of bubbles while it was running, is this good? I don't remember see these before when it was running badly. Thanks

Old 08-14-2009 | 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

The sea foam wont hurt it, I run some through a couple times a year.

Old 08-14-2009 | 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Remember to clean the backside of the butterfly also with a q tip..

John