Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shedding weight

All -

I was wondering about some basic information on our Sportsmans that make them
so heavy. Is it the weight of the engine or frame as much as the other parts?

What could be done to change somethings to make it a lighter quad or is that something
not achievable?

Thanks,

R'

Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Well R', that is sort of a loaded question, because I think the added weight is spread over several things, but I definately think the frame is a fair amount of it, also the front strut assembly, and also I'd say the transmission and the clutches and stuff would add some more weight

Anybody else got any thoughts on the question

Old 08-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weight

Not much can be done for shedding weight. You already have alum rims and such. Don't want to go w/o extra fuel and such so the cargo box is a must have for a long day. Could shed a few lbs by going with an aftermarket exhaust. They're heavy mostly because they are built beefy.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea I want everything I have on the bike but was wondering what really makes it weigh so much and if there were heavy unnecessary things that could be swapped out for aftermarkets what could they be and would that really make a difference?

Cheers,

R'

Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The extra weight on mine comes from all the mud all over it, lol

It really depends on how much you want to put into it, both time and labor. Also, how much are you willing to spend per pound. I am sure there are plenty of things that can be replaced with aftermarket, just imo, it's not really worth the cost unless you are racing professionally or something.

Some ideas, not sure if they are even available or not, but possibilities. Some of these may already even be aluminum and may not apply:
Aluminum heads
aftermarket exhaust as mentioned
aluminum handebars
driveshaft / axles
more lightening holes in frame (would reduce frame strength and not recommended at all)
aluminum radiator

And no, I don't think they would make any difference at all except maybe one or two mph on the top end.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Lighter tires. If you still want all your gear, the biggest thing is the wheels and tires. XTR's and SS wheels are not the lightest. Probably closer to the heaviest for that type of tire. Even stock, the Polaris wheels are rather heavy.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Weight

That's the give/take with having a wheeler that takes as much abuse as it does. Sucks watching my buddy tool around in a floating bog on his Grizzly cuz I know(from experience) that my Popo will break through the mat and we will spend a lot of time(and beer) getting it out. The plus side is that I was able to put much larger tires on and bury it up to the racks all day long without breaking axles which was the problem everyone else faced. The guys that lifted their rides and added bigger tires ran in to broken axles and watched one buddy on a Honda get stuck in some really thick stuff and his wheels could barely spin. That's not to say that the Popos are the ultimate in superiority(although I am somewhat biased towards them) but it all comes down to how/where you ride.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Range Rover

Polaris machines (sportsman's) way alot more then others because, from what I have learnt and seen.

Big Axel and CV joints
Big drive shafts, over kill, never heard of a Polaris breaking one. Compare to a Japanese bike, its unreal the size difference.
Steel Skid plates, not this plastic garbage

These are just a few things I have noticed by looking and comparing in parking lots of friends machines. To keep a ATV down in weight you have to put smaller/lighter parts, no majic in it, I find with the Polaris 800 and up, you don't feel the extra weight as it has so much power, unless your in a Swamp and stuck to the N...ts, but so does a Grizzly as I've tried to lift it up and NO way either.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Weight

That's why they must be thinking of us when they keep coming out with bigger, more powerful winches-lol!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Well rider weight is a BIG FACTOR and I nominate myself as the biggest contributor to my riding weight dilemma...lol...lol (down 40 lbs though since Feb., keep on truck'in..:-)

R'

Quick Reply: Shedding weight