Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman 500 CV Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 500 CV Issues

1200 miles and the rear CV boots are cracked to ****. Okay so the frustration is out about that. I read through the Sportsman CV Joint Removal Guide and it looks easy enough just wondering if there are any unforeseen issues that I may encounter?

I also have a few questions on parts. The CV Boot Clamp Pliers mentioned have a parts number and no brand just wondering if someone could tell me a brand and a place purchased.

As far as CV boots I have been look at thecvman's website and thinking about purchasing the heavy duty boot kit. So the question is how much more heavy duty are these boots compared to the stock boots and are the parts and dealer reliable?

Finally, when I was moving the four wheeler I noticed a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from the right rear CV. Just wondering if this was because it had been exposed to water and mud from the last trip a few weekends ago? I'm figuring I didn't hear this noise until things dried out, so I'm hoping that the grease just washed out and it hasn't been damaged too badly. Anyways I 'm just wondering what your thoughts are about the noise. As far as I can tell everything is tight and there is no slack in the CV or shaft.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moose makes a cv clamp tool that works with the bend/tab type clamps. The other clamps(factory) need a clamp with ears(?) that cinch them down.

As for boots, I prefer the Popo ones cuz they seem to fit the best but see what others say about the cv guy. Heard he's good to deal with.

As for the clicking, just clean them up really good once you have the old boots off and if they're not binding up or full of rocks you should be ok.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the feedback. As far as pulling the shafts seems like it is going to be a bit of a challenge after reading the thread drive axles stuck. Will see what happens once I take it apart if I stumble across any tricks I'll post pictures on that thread. Anyways keep the feedback going thanks.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need HELP!!

CV boots are annoying. Since I received the boots from the CV man I have had a hell of a time keeping them on the shafts. Not blaming CV man I feel I have to blame myself he provided a great product, but I just can't seem to solve the problems. First time I put the boots on I forgot to let the air out and they blew off the shafts while riding my fault. Second times a charm...NOT!! The clamps don't seem to want to stay on the shafts, thus I have clamps loosing up and boots falling off. Need help!

On a another note I mentioned earlier that I was hearing a clicking that sounded like it was coming from the rear CV. When I had them apart I did notice that one of the shafts CVs was binding up. Went ahead and tried to run it and save money. Well was out today hunting and I managed to lose another clamp and a boot fell off the side that is making the noise. So I'm going to order a completely new shaft from the CV man just to bypass the problems with putting the boots on and fix the clicking noise. Need help! Should I buy a new shaft or should I fight it again. Assembling and disassembling is easy it is the shaft that is the problem and my lack of boot replacement skills.

Thank you to ever and all reply need this info to get the bike back to a hundred percent.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like maybe you have a clamping problem since the boots are coming loose. There are many different diameters so make sure you have the right ones. I have never done a rear cv, but the front outer on mine turned out to be a real pain since I couldn't manage to get the joint apart even with heavy hammering. The second problem I had was the clamps. Without the proper pliers, it was nearly impossible to get them snapped back on. Those suckers are really tight!

Old 11-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

make sure there is no grease under where your trying clamp as well. just a side note, but if you don't get the clamps a 100% tight and sealer correctly, then water is going to get into the cv's and ruin them fairly quickly.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Range Rover

Typically, if you hear clicking, it's time to replace the CV joint.

As far as the boot clamps, what type did you use? I found the ones with the ears at Napa along with the pliers are a good OE replacement.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah I got new clamps from Napa after I had to re-do the boots and I couldn't re-use the ones I got from the CV man. Do you have a picture of the clamps for reference? Here is the one I bought: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...833_0218314173