Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OK HO lets have the low down :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
Yep you are right..did the 09 MSRP change during the year?..I could have sworn it was $8699 when I bought mine in late 08. If not I got a better deal on it that I thought lol. So the non-EPS is $200 less without the paint and wheels and the EPS is $300 more than a like 2009 EPS. So that accounts for $900 of price difference in a EPS and a Non,the other $300 must be inflation. Last year you could get idential machines,paint and alum wheels,one EPS and the other not for $700 difference. This year the paint,wheels and EPS cost you $1200. So yes they all apparently when up $300...which I think is exaclty what the Can-Am prices increased(Can't compare 09 XTs since they had no PS)

Who is confused now? lol
All I can say is if the 2010 XP's were identical (i.e wheels, paint) EPS or not, the price difference would be the same $700 they were last year, everything would have increased $300. I guess what they're saying is the wheels and paint are worth $500 for 2010, plus $700 for EPS equals a $1200 difference. Even more confusing is that Can-Ams went up $500 in Canada (only $300 in the US) due to a bigger disparity with the US dollar (which is almost at par again), and power steering adds another $700, which equals a $1200 increase up here! LOL. And I thought they were expensive before. Local dealer pride/stupidity doesn't help.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Jomax
[COLOR=#262626][FONT=Verdana]

Hey I live in Red Deer, small world heh. I know just what you are talking about. The Can-am dealers do have attitude. I tryed making a deal on one, tryed getting the GST (5 percent) off and got no response. So I went across the street and bought a XP! If I remember it was 12,700 out the door for a non power steering machine (09 XT Can am) I paid 10,700 out the door for my XP EPS and another 180 for bumpers. My machine also came with a Polaris 3500 lbs winch with synthetic rope.
There is also a ton of Can'ams up here, its like belly buttons........everyone has one.............. No offense Can am people lol. I've only seen a few XP's on the trail up here, lots of people come over to see my machine, kinda makes you feel good about your purchase
Hey Jomax, small world indeed. Starting to see a few more XP's now, they're still fairly new. Neighbor just came home with a new 09 XP (non EPS) for $10,000 OTD including a 3500 lb winch, Can-Am dealer would get nowhere remotely close. Not only is the price better, the XP also looks better!

Old 09-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by countryboy8602
Hey Jomax, small world indeed. Starting to see a few more XP's now, they're still fairly new. Neighbor just came home with a new 09 XP (non EPS) for $10,000 OTD including a 3500 lb winch, Can-Am dealer would get nowhere remotely close. Not only is the price better, the XP also looks better!

I second the comment on looks! Thats a good price for the XP I think, when I bought mine I was originally going to buy a Non EPS machine and wanted a new build. I went thru their build dates and picked the newest one (suppposedly non EPS), paid for it, after the fact the dealer (while I was buying ascescories) discovered it was a EPS machine, rather than "unregister it" I got it for a extra 500, now I'm really glad now I have EPS!, just hope it holds up.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah the XP is a defnite improvement in the looks department over the old Sportsman...I like the looks of the front of the Outt'ys better than the XP but the XP looks a little better from the rear IMO. I think the front of the Outty is sharp looking...but the pointed nose does uncover the front tires alot allowing it to sling up more crap. Looks are one of the most opinionated areas,but play a big part in purchases.

My wife and I have been considering either a new Challenger or a Camaro. I love the Challenger's looks,I hate the new Camaros looks....my wife LOVES the Camaros looks. I like the HP per dollar of the Camaro over the Challengers...but damn they are ugly lol.

I've considered an Outty everytime I bought a Polaris and each time the main reason,not the ONLY but the MAIN reason, I went with the Polaris was the Visco-Lok. It just ruined the Outty for me. Now that isn't an issue on the DPS models...that made the choice much harder,when Polaris didn't come out with an 850 X2 that made the choice alot easier to go with the Outty. If I was looking for a single seater...it would be a hard one having put some time on the Outty. I'm not talking riding each around the dealers parking lot. After riding the Outty the choice between a single seat XP and the single seat Outty would be even harder for me. Between a single seat XP and a Max no contest for me...the Max wins. Not apples to apples really but that is the comparision I have to work with.
Again I don't have the huge price difference to deal with down here.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

IMO, HO, you made the right choice. Put aside all the technical stuff (engine, suspension, blah blah). At least the Outty Max has a rack on the rear as apposed to the XP Touring. Besides the lack of a rack they really screwed the color option on the Touring also.

As for looks, I say the Brute force is still one of the best looking. Xp is number two, and then CanAm is down the line.

The Camaro in Silver is sweet looking!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
IMO, HO, you made the right choice. Put aside all the technical stuff (engine, suspension, blah blah). At least the Outty Max has a rack on the rear as apposed to the XP Touring. Besides the lack of a rack they really screwed the color option on the Touring also.

As for looks, I say the Brute force is still one of the best looking. Xp is number two, and then CanAm is down the line.

The Camaro in Silver is sweet looking!
Well I don't think I put aside the technical stuff. Yes it is cutting edge and new for Polaris. The engine is really not superior technology... they turned the engine to allow for a narrower seat and changed the firing which improved the sound...both of which are sweet improvents over the old Sportsman but really are just attemps to match up to the tech of the V-twin machines IMO. The fact that the 850's crank is now inline with the driveline is said to be more efficient... not so sure that has been proven...look at the driveline losses cc1999's dyno showed. The engine does have less vibe...I'll give it that...
The front suspension is in no way superior tech to the Outty's with exception of the deeper ball joint position ..which matters not with PS,and claims 1 more inch of travel. The rear "rolled" IRS was and attempt to achieve the same results as the TTI...less scrub...but it still has some scrub,where the TTI doesn't. I'll give Polaris the rear suspension by a nose,mainly because the jury is still out for me on the TTIs durability. Stictly suspension performance wise I am still undecided on which is better...so far in the riding I have done it the TTI has performed as well as the XP did. Although the Polaris does again,quote more travel. The TTI does alow for more clear area out back(ie wider area of clearance).

The "roller" clutch is the same design they have been using for awhile,except the set it up to work with the new clutch oreintation..they just decided to point it out on the XP.

I'm not taking anything away from the XP...leaps and bounds improvements for Polaris...but to say the tech is cutting edge compared to the Outlander is a huge stretch. I will say that Polaris's chages put it on the field with Can-Am.

I think if you look at both machines side by side as I have you would agree that from a tech stand point they are real close,and I give the edge to the Outty in several areas.

For instance...some of the little stuff...the Outlander uses Spicer driveshafts and U-joints...top quality stuff IMO...who makes Polaris'?
Every non-BRP component I have found on the Outty so far is made by a well known, respected company...that's all I'll say about that...I'm not here to bash Polaris. Looking close at the Outty though I can see how i probably cost BRP more to make than the XP costs Polaris. When Manufacturers out source components they have to pass the cost along.

Also look at the Automotive style ball joints,cast iron knuckes,larger higher quality tie rods...ect ect...I am not one to put aside the "technical" stuff,you should know that.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I know the X2 and ATP we have both have Spicer rear axles. They are the ones that let you run around the yard in 1 wheel drive so you don't tear it up too bad. I'm pretty sure that's what they went with on the new XP X2 and the Touring. Beyond that...

Old 09-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I know the X2 and ATP we have both have Spicer rear axles. They are the ones that let you run around the yard in 1 wheel drive so you don't tear it up too bad. I'm pretty sure that's what they went with on the new XP X2 and the Touring. Beyond that...
Right...not sure who makes the reg XP rear diffs...no markings on them that I saw.
Spicer makes the Outty's driveshafts,("propshafts" ) and AFAIK GKN makes the outty's diffs. I know they make the front and believe they also make the rear.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

When I said "put aside", I just meant that the machine you chose seems to fit what you wanted regardless of the other "techy" stuff.

Every day you guys are sounding like the usual CanAm crowd. Just playin'

What I meant about cutting edge is "new". I believe that's what the phrase means. The Outlander has had very little change since the first Outlander 800 in 06 (just improvements on the same old model). Sometimes that is a good thing though. Just look at Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki. Very few changes, and they sell very well with mostly satisfied customers.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
When I said "put aside", I just meant that the machine you chose seems to fit what you wanted regardless of the other "techy" stuff.

Every day you guys are sounding like the usual CanAm crowd. Just playin'

What I meant about cutting edge is "new". I believe that's what the phrase means. The Outlander has had very little change since the first Outlander 800 in 06 (just improvements on the same old model). Sometimes that is a good thing though. Just look at Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki. Very few changes, and they sell very well with mostly satisfied customers.

Yes...that is true...I wanted a 2up and the touring just was't hapening for me,but I didn't disregard everything else at the expense of getting a rear rack and easily removeable rear seat....it did play a part though. I wanted a 2up when I bought the XP...looked at the Outty Max and couldn't bring myself to buy one because of the Viso Lok...so the "techy" stuff steered me to stay with a Polaris.

Cutting edge means the position of greatest advancement,in other words...better technology...not just newer...also the tech is not really new on either machine. Cutting edge would be like a ceramic crankshaft,rods, pistons or something along those lines. Something never done before by ANY manufacturer,that leads to a superior product.
If Chevy changed from push rod LS engines to over head cams that would not be cutting edge,but it would be NEW for chevy.

I am not trying to sound like one of the Can-Am crowd..not even sure what that means. Who is "you guys"? lol Rutcutter and Kawifan? Hey if Rutcutter stays with a Can-Am 2 years in a row I think that will speak volumes lol...
Since this is the Polaris forum,and I could see how some are probably thinking I am talking bad about Polaris I'll stop now unless someone asks a specific question. Just giving my opinion after riding both machines,that's all. Again I think Polaris has came along way with the XP and have really leveled the playing field against Can-Am.
Too bad they didn't make a 850 X2...this thread would likely be about that machine lol. But I can say at this point if they come out with the 850X2 tomorrow I will still have no regrets about what I bought.