Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OK HO lets have the low down :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roofer
As for looks, I say the Brute force is still one of the best looking. Xp is number two, and then CanAm is down the line.
See opinions on looks vary widely...I think the Brute is one of the uglier machines.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

Man, HO has covered it all.
I was hoping there might be something I might could add but damn HO covered it all.. lol
I can tell you that I could not be happier with the Outlander purchase. I am in no way taking anything away from the Polaris 850XP as it is a fine machine. However, for my riding style and tastes, I would pick the new Outty 800 everytime. There is an obvious and clear difference in power between the 850XP and the Outty 800. Like HO said, the acceleration is absolutely instant hold on to your *** power. That is one of the coolest things about the Outty is the overwhelming, amazing power. The ride is excellent as well. It may not be quite as flush as the 850XP but it rides very plush and has a super sporty ride. A ride where it feels you can throw it around. The 850XP never felt that way to me due to the weight. Can-Am had to have changed the suspension from earlier years because my '07 800 definitely had the front sag/dive. I have not experienced this with the 2010 800. The engine heat on the left side is noticeable but is a lot cooler than my '07 was as well. Roofer you owe it to yourself to go out and try a 2010 Outlander out.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Kawifan, I think I drug almost everything out of HO so far in this thread.

I looked at the 2010 Outty, but that's as far as that went. They had test drives, but really wasn't interested. I agree with you about the sporty feel, but not about throwing it around. I'm not a big guy by any means, but the 850 is not hard to play around with on the trails. If you want instant power, try a BF. Seriously, it's probably the fastest take off in the atv world, but it drops off quicker than the 850 or Outty. I do agree the Outty seems snappier off the line than the 850 though.

I have very little against the Outlander.....just being devils advocate here, to draw out some good info.

Just saw one out on the trails a few minutes ago actually. It was an older couple out enjoying the weather on a 800 Max.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer

I've owned a BF750. My father in law has a '09 BF750.
I will never own another one..
There is no comparison in the acceleration bottom or top end.
The Outty acceleration hits hard and keeps pulling hard all the way thru the middle to top end.
Not bashing the BF750 but there just isn't any comparison (my opinion).
I really like keeping the Outty in low when trail riding as it will hit over 45mph in low. Blip the throttle and the instant power is there. The power really is addictive.
Roofer, just go out and try one. By reading your posts, I know you have somewhat of an interest. lol
As far as the ride of the 850XP and Outty 800. Yeah, you can throw a 850 around but it doesn't feel anywhere near as easy to ride all out fast on the trail as the Outty. I don't know if weight is the factor or just the setup but there is a noticeable difference to me (My opinion).

Old 09-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Always have an interest in the big bore utilities. My 2006 BF 750 with a CDI was very fun to ride. Probably the funnest machine I ever rode, but it wore you out quick.

I'll probably check them out one day. I sure wish they were still built in Canada. It would be easier to justify the price. I'm happy with what I have right now though. I told my wife months ago that all the 2010's are released and nothing caught my attention, so I'm waiting it out 2 years again. If I do anything, I'll be selling her 500 for a Teryx. That will hold a car seat. lol

Old 09-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
Kawifan, I think I drug almost everything out of HO so far in this thread.

I looked at the 2010 Outty, but that's as far as that went. They had test drives, but really wasn't interested. I agree with you about the sporty feel, but not about throwing it around. I'm not a big guy by any means, but the 850 is not hard to play around with on the trails. If you want instant power, try a BF. Seriously, it's probably the fastest take off in the atv world, but it drops off quicker than the 850 or Outty. I do agree the Outty seems snappier off the line than the 850 though.

I have very little against the Outlander.....just being devils advocate here, to draw out some good info.

Just saw one out on the trails a few minutes ago actually. It was an older couple out enjoying the weather on a 800 Max.
99% of what i have posted in this thread is in the first post I made. Most of what I have posted since you posted has been a repeat of what I said in the first post lol.

I get the Devil's advocate thing..it's all good. I would do that same thing.

I agree you can throw the around 850,or get the impression you are, when hotdogging and playing at speed on the trails...the "plush" suspension is very easily rocked side to side by the riders bodyweight...
Here is another one I have mentioned already...the Outty,even the Max,is noticably lighter..both while riding and when having to man handle it.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

As for the Brutes low end..I'm sure you know that is all gearing..not power.
Don't forget Roofer the OUtty you are comparing was an '06....62hp vs 71hp for 2010. The low end on my Max is good..but the throttle response and mid to top end is even more of a stand out than the low end...I swear it feels like it accelerates as fast from a 35mph roll as it does from a 5 mph roll.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by KAWIFAN
There is an obvious and clear difference in power between the 850XP and the Outty 800.
You mean this obvious and clear difference in power? LOL

http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ng-850-xp.html

Old 09-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by countryboy8602
You mean this obvious and clear difference in power? LOL

http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ng-850-xp.html
You caught us countryboy..we are completely making it up. The 850 is much faster. Damn I thought no one would know better...

Seriously the 850 moves pretty well...but damn sure does not pull midrange and top end like my 2010 Can-Am does...even if by some miracle I am really confused and it would actually lose a drag to the 850 it damn sure feels faster....and that is all that really matters on as far as acceleration goes on a utilty ATV imo...the fun factor. I am not a professional utility atv drag racer with money on the line if I lose a race. Even so I still say my 2010 Can-Am MAX will take a stock XP in a drag race...and not a doubt in my mind if the race involves speeds above 35mph...

Old 09-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
(Disclaimer for those really seeking info...my post is sarcasm...)
Darn it.....lol

I have seen videos both ways.

I really doubt anyone would say that their previous machine is better than one they just spent close to or above $10K on.

Someone asked about HO's opinion, and that's what they got. There are pluses and minuses to all of the atv's.

Have to admit that the 3 big, bar raising machines in sport utility class is the Prairie 650 in 2002, the Outlander 800 in 2006, and the XP 850 in 2009.