Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tires???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the swamp lites on my scrambler... i like them alot... i can feel the tires grab the trail tight and they ride smooth

Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 AM
Pro Rider

IMO, avoid the swamp lites it you plan to hit the mud, I've heard they fill up very quickly and don't clean out the greatest, also I would get the 27" zilla's they are a very light tire, so the power loss will most likely be unnoticeable, and if the front's do rub, all you have to do is flip the tie rod end's, is may sound like a bad idea, but I haven't heard one problem caused by doing this, the only, sort of set back is you'd have to do a re-alignment

Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I'm not trying to start a tire debate here but why are some of you guys hatin on the mudlites. I've had a set of xl's on my sp for about two months now and yet to have any issues. And i've tried to get stuck just to see how deep and nasty I can go. I have yet to see how they do in the snow but that is coming soon. My only complaint is they feel a little squirly at low psi. Is there other issues that I don't know about?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

589's work great on just about everything, but they are heavy. I would put the Zilla or Mudbug right next to any tire mentioned so far....except the Vamps and Backs in the mud. Hard to compare to a true mud tire. They are even heavier than the 589's!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If yours came stock with 26" you should be able to go up 27" w/o any clearance issues. Could have done 28's on my 800 and still had plenty of room to spare. Looks like you got plenty of tire opinions! Forgot about the 589's. They are an awesome mud/snow tire but pretty heavy compared to the Zilla's and Mudlites(which are a nice tire but I do like the Zilla's better).

Old 09-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Range Rover

Love my Zillas - I went with the 26" ones 9" front and 11" back so they fit on my stock rims (those where my stock width tire too). They did slightly rub on my TRE, so I flipped them. Hard pack they are good, cept at slower speeds - they you noticed the lugs - lol. Did great in the mud too, I thought. Went through some areas that were a few feet deep with no problems. Had to pull out an Arctic Cat on 589s and then a Honda.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Range Rover
Thumbs up

What about the high lifter MST's? I'm lookin at those for my next set, they're a mud snow and trail tire, and I've heard they ride pretty nice. The only negative I've heard is they're a little heavier.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 700 sportsman
IMO, avoid the swamp lites it you plan to hit the mud, I've heard they fill up very quickly and don't clean out the greatest, also I would get the 27" zilla's they are a very light tire, so the power loss will most likely be unnoticeable, and if the front's do rub, all you have to do is flip the tie rod end's, is may sound like a bad idea, but I haven't heard one problem caused by doing this, the only, sort of set back is you'd have to do a re-alignment
lol swamp lites clean theirselves out very good... they clean out the wv mud here. mud usually flyin everywhere

Old 09-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Swamplites will probably be heavier than zillas or bugs. With a 500, you want to have light tires.

MST's are nice, but are heavy for their size also. People say radial Bighorns are heavy, the MST is heavier and shorter. They last a very long time though.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Range Rover

I'm not trying to hijack your thread but I have a similar question in the tires/wheels section; Do you need to add a lift kit if going to a larger size tire?

We love to go ice fishing & have gotten hung up many times & it keeps me too far from the spots that I'd really like to get to which is why I'm looking for another option.

I didn't know how far I can go in tire size changes from stock.

I have a Polaris 500 X2, 25X8X12 front & 25X11X12 on the rear, so if anyone knows the upper limits in front tire width for my machine that would be a great help.

I've been reading the other snow tire threads and I'm leaning towards the Zilla 26" tall tire, but the width is the biggest question. I like that the Zilla's are lighter in weight and there has been quite a few comments from those that like them and being 6 ply should help their longevity when aired down may-be.

Quick Reply: Tires???