Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Add convex mirrors to two Polaris Sportsmans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add convex mirrors to two Polaris Sportsmans?

My wife and I would like to add rear view mirrors to our two Sportsmans (2004 SP700 and 2006 SP500). She bought a couple as a surprise for me, but they are not convex so their view is rather narrow. They are also the "cut off the ends of your handgrips" style, which worries me for several reasons: We have electrically warmed grips so I'm not thrilled about cutting into them, I'm worried about snagging them on narrow trails, etc.

There isn't much available space on the handlebars to use the clamp-on style; seems there's a cable or a wire just about everywhere. I've thought about clamping them to the front racks but their tubing is narrower than handlebars so I'm not sure if I can find anything that would fit.

Several people here have recommended a Cabela's mirror, but it's flat (not convex) and requires cutting the handgrip.

Any other good solutions out there? Thanks!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Range Rover

I completely agree with adding mirrors to the larger utility quads. I'm not sure why there's no space on your handlebars - I have a RAM GPS mount, after market motorcycle switch to control the horn and work lights, hand guards and a winch switch, but still had room to mount a rear view mirror on the right side. The link below is to Cabelas but Walmart has the same mirror for $5 less.

Cabela's -- Stearns® Mad Dog Gear® ATV EZ Mount Mirror&#8482

I also mounted a wide angle (convex) on my left handle bar - it attaches with velcro to the grip.
ATV Rearview Mirror : Cabela's

They both have their uses but I find that I use the regular mirror the most to check on riding buddies, passengers (I have a two seater and my kids ride a good bit with me), and traffic catching up.

I tend to use the wide angle to detect motion in the blind spot, as you can't really see anything clearly in them. I have knocked it off with my body a few times on tight tails (tight steering lock). In fact I'm thinking of replacing it with another regular mirror as I'm tired of searching for it after I knocked it off.

I haven't had problems with either of them catching on branches, etc. or getting in the way. I did not have to alter any of my grips or wiring to install the mirrors, and they are definitely better on your bars than mounted elsewhere such as the storage racks.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea I have the Polaris fold away bar-end mirrors. They do work well for what they are made for and pretty much do all the job to avoid close obsticles. But....and there is always a BUT....lol.

I am now re-thinking my mirror after using it for awhile. It is an added benefit for sure but I HATE having all the bar clutter if ya know what I mean? A couple times backing up and around turning the bars all the way I forgot I had the mirror folded down and it knocked my leg (no issue) but again another thing getting in the way. I had to stop, straighten the handle bars and fold up. I may think about checking out the MAD DOG hand grips with the embedded mirrors. Anyone running these?

Still nice to have a mirror though!

Regards,

R'

Old 09-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

Thats why I reccomend the style of mirror I use as it's not going to hit your body. Being up high it also provides a better field of view if you have a load on the back, etc. For $20 at Walmart to try it out there's not much risk - you can always bring it back.
Name:  704597bf.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  117.3 KB
The handle bar end mirror like this one get in the way or hurt you and have limited visibility if you have a load on the back anyway.
Name:  6a876a9c.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  90.3 KB

Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea I agree at least mine folds down or up so the likely hood would be it would move if knocked but I like nothing more in my way now adays.

I took my GPS mount off too!

R'

Old 09-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I meant to say the MAD Dog Hand guards w/mirror above not grips (lol)

Thx,

R'

Old 09-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

It's definitely something I'm going to be looking into soon. I find it hard to see behind me with a helmet on. I'm concerned about getting them knocked off in the heavy brush I ride in frequently but I'm going to try it anyway.

They'll be nice when plowing too. More than once I've accidentally backed into something when I was plowing. Like the helmet issue I have trouble seeing behind me with hoods and hats on.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Here's a couple of suggestions with Walmart convex mirrors.

Attached Thumbnails Add convex mirrors to two Polaris Sportsmans?-p9180005.jpg   Add convex mirrors to two Polaris Sportsmans?-p9180010.jpg  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Mongrol,

Are those the stick-on Mirrors? I bought a few from my local auto store and two problems I encountered were one, they only showed the rear view a close up about 1/2 foot away. But moving any further away it wasn't very effective. My bar-mirrors do the job. Its a good product, but for me I just don't want a bunch of stuff on my bars anymore.

CONS: Tight trials have presented problems. With any accidents it just another thing to deal with (been there and done that), steering kickback with the mirror on the end "could" present a dangerous problem (hadn't done it yet, thank God!), riding distraction sometimes and the most problems are when folded down like it should be for transport on trailer its really hard to set the parking brake.

Still looking for other mirror alternatives, Mongrols is close if I could find a suitable one of the same type!

R'

Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

Originaly mounted from Polaris on mine. (by EGI Motors in Italy) For the European marked.

Attached Thumbnails Add convex mirrors to two Polaris Sportsmans?-l-s2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Add convex mirrors to two Polaris Sportsmans?