Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear Cargo Box

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Cargo Box

I'm looking to buy a rear cargo box for my xp850. Am thinking of going with the Polaris box regardless of the price. Seems like it is probably the best fit for the bike. I do have the rear extenders and the polaris gun mount. It appears the polaris boxes fits within the extender and don't affect the gun mount.

Anybody out there tried the polaris or others and do all the other brands require a retrofit with the polaris plugs? Are any aftermarket brands using/offering the polaris type boatplugs?

Old 09-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

spend the extra and get the polaris box....you wont regret it

Old 09-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I know I have the former Sportsman model. But I LOVE mine! I had a TAMARACK front storage box when I had my AC, nice durable etc. But the POLARIS Lock&Ride Rear Cargo box with the BACKREST (Get it man, its great!) is AWESOME! Really nice to have the back support while you ride it really enhances the ride experience!

Lots of storage, its made to fit, pretty much water/weather proof (Can't valge for submersion, lol) but really nice! I think another unadveritised piece of it is the SAFETY component. I really FEEL it helps to keep you in for steep hills and with flip overs. I FEEL if I didn't have it on when I flipped my SP800 I would of slipped off the rear back end with the bottom end on my face or ribs. -- IMO

Also when she rolled the thing never popped out, and took the brunt of the rolls on the rear, I think saved the rack and fender pieces some.

I would highly recommend it, I seen the XP's they look ergonomically customed to the new design but pretty much a carbon copy ideal design from the original. Plus our Sportsmans (XP or not) front storage doesn't hold much apart from the front design dims.

Cheers,

R'

Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time my Popo rear cargo box comes off my wheeler is when it is getting a serious bath. Wouldn't go without it. A lot of the aftermarket boxes have backrests which are nice but I took a plastic covered cushion and used some sticky-back velcro and attach it with that. Works pretty well.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Again not sure about the XP's but the former Sportsmans have the really nice side bags. I couldn't believe how nice quality they are and how much they can hold a piece (full six pack), nice to have for trail maps, cell phones, keys etc. Pretty water mud splash proof too!

Check out my accessory web page, for some pics. Its a great package and again I really think the rear cargo box with back rest and side bags are seriously UNDERRATED!
MY ATV accessories pics pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

Cheers,

R'

Old 09-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the comments. Think I will go with the polaris. My LE came with the front storage box but you can only fit so much in there.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have the Lock & Ride cargo box with side bags and backrest for my '05. It's a handy accessory, but it is by no means watertight. We like to have a lot of fun in the creeks, and my cargo box will inevitably have 2-3 inches of water in it after just splashing around for a couple of hours. For hill climbing, I don't like the extra weight that it adds to the back of the bike when loaded with gear. It does make a handy cooler, however.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Get the Otter Monster box! IMHO it's the nicest box on the market!! A few of my buds have sold their polaris and other box's for the otter. They're that nice, that well designed and built. For sure give them a good look before making your purchase, I don't think you'll be disapointed. Check them out.

Otter Catalog...... Otter Outdoors!

The otter websites pics kind of suck, here are some installed pics on the IDO website.
http://www.idofishing.com/forum/show...ev=#Post730369

Last edited by Wenty; 09-17-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: better pics
Old 09-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RticKwad
I think another unadveritised piece of it is the SAFETY component. I really FEEL it helps to keep you in for steep hills and with flip overs.
I'm probably of the opposite opinion when it comes to rear boxes and bags. I like the storage but I don't like them on really difficult terrain. I find they make it much more difficult to bail off the back of the ATV when you're going over. If it is going over I want to get off not hang on. If you can slide off the back, the ATV might come down on top of you but if you're pinned on the machine by a box you're getting driven into the ground by the momentum of the ATV flipping over. Personal preference I guess. They're both gonna hurt. lol

As for boxes I'd go with the polaris model. I've seen them at the dealer and they look really nice.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

With the rack extenders, you'll have to use the XP Polaris box. The bags from the other boxes fit on the XP box also. They offer two different back rests for the XP. One fits on lock&ride rails, the other fits on the box like the previous Sportsmans.

Quick Reply: Rear Cargo Box