Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Phoenix 200 vs Predator (Outlaw 90) for a 12 year old girl

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix 200 vs Predator (Outlaw 90) for a 12 year old girl

Looking ahead a few years, I will be buying a quad for my daughter for when she turns 12.

Her main criteria is that is must be pink. In the Polaris lineup, that means either the "pink predator" (Outlaw 90) or the Phoenix 200.

I was leaning toward the predator, but I am re-considering, since by all accounts I read she will grow out of the 90 pretty quickly.

Therefore, I am considering the Phoenix 200.

Riding will be the local woods (trails with rocks and some mud, no dunes, no jumps/hardcore riding). I ride an old Trail Boss 250, and the horsepower suits our riding purposes fine. Plus the automatic will be preferable.

I am hoping I can adjust the throttle on the Phoenix to build in a speed delimiter until her skill level improves.

Any gotchas regarding the Phoenix ? Other ideas ? (keeping the pink theme in mind)

Old 09-20-2009, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

I was thinking the same thing myself.

I passed on a very nice deal on a nice Kymco some time ago, thinking I should wait until she is older... and that a Phoenix might be a good choice.

Artic Cat, Can Am and Kymco all put out 90cc+ autos that are not "full size".

Myself, I am hoping I can teach mine to be ready for a Raptor 250.
But I doubt seriously that is happening...

Old 09-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, Raptor might be much for a starter bike for a 12 yo girl, but everyone has different skills and inclinations. Who knows, she might take to it just fine.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the 200 over the 90 it will last her a bit longer they are not very big a member on another site i go to has a son who rides one and he looks to be around 10 to 12 years of age and they ride the trails pretty much every weekend.

start her out slow on it teach her right and get her into a atv saftey class if you havent already.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by hoytultratec
I would go with the 200 over the 90 it will last her a bit longer they are not very big a member on another site i go to has a son who rides one and he looks to be around 10 to 12 years of age and they ride the trails pretty much every weekend.

start her out slow on it teach her right and get her into a atv saftey class if you havent already.
i forgot to mention my kid started riding a 350 rancher 4x4 at 12 and switches off between a rancher and a 2 stroke trailblazer and we mainly trail ride. he is responsible and loves mud holes.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks. Here in NH, she can't legally ride off property until 12 yo minimum (with safety course). So, I can't put her on the 90 now and get a few years out of it; have to wait until she is 12, therefore I am considering a bigger quad.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by carl-in-nh
Yeah, Raptor might be much for a starter bike for a 12 yo girl, but everyone has different skills and inclinations. Who knows, she might take to it just fine.
Mine is 10 now, and I have been trying to show her basic skills while sitting behind her in the yard... and she's struggling even with the ease of the 400EX.

So she will probably end up on a Phoenix 200 or something... if she shows the riding maturity/responsibility within a few years.

She should be on a kids ATV now... but I'm not quite comfortable with it.
I worry about her judgment a little yet... and her panic reactions.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by duster
Mine is 10 now, and I have been trying to show her basic skills while sitting behind her in the yard... and she's struggling even with the ease of the 400EX.

So she will probably end up on a Phoenix 200 or something... if she shows the riding maturity/responsibility within a few years.

She should be on a kids ATV now... but I'm not quite comfortable with it.
I worry about her judgment a little yet... and her panic reactions.

your 10 year old is struggling with a 400 ex...no kiddin quite a big difference between a 200 and a 400 ex ,ive rode a 400 ex deffinatly alot of machine.

its tough to spend the money they want for a 90cc rig on a 12 year old who is technically legal to ride trails w/the class knowing that in 2 years there definatly going to out grow the thing. my kid rode small machines 110,150 up till 11 then i taught him to ride responsibily on the rancher now he is legal and loves the rancher he has logged about 600 miles this year so far without incident.

its all how you teach them.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by hoytultratec
your 10 year old is struggling with a 400 ex...no kiddin quite a big difference between a 200 and a 400 ex ,ive rode a 400 ex deffinatly alot of machine.

its tough to spend the money they want for a 90cc rig on a 12 year old who is technically legal to ride trails w/the class knowing that in 2 years there definatly going to out grow the thing. my kid rode small machines 110,150 up till 11 then i taught him to ride responsibily on the rancher now he is legal and loves the rancher he has logged about 600 miles this year so far without incident.

its all how you teach them.
Right... it is in how you teach them...

What I'm saying about mine is, she is having a lot of trouble with the first thing you have to learn... the clutch... And this is on a modded 400EX with 14/38 gearing... so it will literally take off at idle in the yard with no throttle if you can master the clutch.

I hope she gets it so she will be able to ride anything later, and maybe also be able to apply that to driving some day.

I had no trouble with it, but she may be stuck with autos.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

I guess i wouldnt be teaching a 11 year old how to drive a 400 ex with a manual clutch one thing kids pick up how to drive atvs quick teach them on a atv thats up to there ability.after this summer and all the miles he has put on i would have no problem him riding a bigger machine then the rancher and i know some will disagree but he is a very responsible and respectful rider on the trails but once were in a play area...he lets loose a bit and has some fun.

Quick Reply: Phoenix 200 vs Predator (Outlaw 90) for a 12 year old girl