Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Drop basket for hunting

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was made out of Poly it might be better for keeping things clean instead of having the open grates. Plus it would be lighter.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea that is what I was thinking ROOFER. And maybe there is a way to drill thru a few places of the rack and install a few lock and ride anchors maybe wishful thinking but plausible I guess?

Anyone who has this run into any problem with the drop basket end getting in the way of the rear bumper?

Thanks,

R'

Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RticKwad

Anyone who has this run into any problem with the drop basket end getting in the way of the rear bumper?

Thanks,

R'
Yes. When I first set mine on top of the rear rack where it's supposed to go...the bottom of the basket rested on the top of the bumper. It wasn't bad, could have mounted it that way but it would have been angled up a bit towards the rear, I didn't like it.

I opted to slide the basket back which was about 3 inches so it rested flat. The bottom of the basket rests against the tube bumper. I actually like it this way! It extended my "rear rack" quite a bit giving more space.

To mount it I used 6 heavy duty hose clamps, two around the bumper and through the basket and two on the rack near the front and one on each side.Probably could have gotten by with 4 but mine is pretty permanent although I do take it off once a year for our big mud weekend. Comes off/on in a few minutes with a screw driver. I didn't like the mounting brackets that came with the kolpin, they would take some time to remove, sockets, wrenches...tough to get at, etc.

Really it doesn't make the azz end to heavy, even loaded I don't feel like I'm light in the front end. I enjoy having it on there for all the deer hunting, building stands, work, etc...It comes in handy. I did add a heavy rear spring to compensate.

I'll add some pics that show how I mounted it and how I mounted the bags. Yeh, the rust is ugly...the rear basket is due for a sand blast and tuff coat. Trailering all winter really takes its toll!!

Attached Thumbnails Drop basket for hunting-p1010009.jpg   Drop basket for hunting-p1010010.jpg   Drop basket for hunting-p1010007.jpg  
Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Nice setup wenty. Are the hose clamps the only thing holding that?

R'

Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I like it. The setup works well for all the ice fishing, hunting, etc...I do. I can haul alot of gear and it's "secure" in the baskets.

As far as the clamps. Yes, 6-HD hose clamps. It's never budged, it's solid.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not trying to steer anyone in any direction but I just wanted to express my opinion.....I have something similar to those drop baskets but it"s actually a rack that slides into my rear 2in. receiver I built....It's made by Hitch Haul...But anyway here's my story......As long as you don't put too much weight back there you'll be ok but last year me and a friend shot a couple deer and put one deer on the front rack and the other on the added rack in the rear.....I even put the heavier deer on the front......Well as we were heading home I had to go up a slight incline so I was standing up and leaning over the handle bars as far as I could....Between the front deer, me, my buddy, then the rear dear I could feel the front wheels wanting to come off the ground.......So my point is be very careful how much weight you put back there.....Good luck.......

John

Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Good points and advise to follow! Yea I learned my center of gravity and "TILT" lessons the hard way! Never again man! My deal on the basket thing is really for utility work on the hunting property. All flat land there (Eastern shore) in dense pine.

In fact now when I go trailing on mountain trails my front HD springs will come out or replaced no load on the back, no more steep hill climbs and if I look at something and don't feel comfortable to ride up it, I ain't doing it!

I second your comments! Be careful with your loads and weight distributions!

Thx,

R'