Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Have you mounted your ATV tires yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Range Rover
First Things First!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you mounted your ATV tires yourself?

I called Discount Tire and ask if they would mount ATV tires if I brought them in so today I had some mounted I bought from Rocky Mountain ATV. At $26 a tire I may mount the next ones myself unless someone here says they tried and failed. I have done it by hand on car tires years ago so it can't be that hard. They charge $15 for a car tire with balance and stem which is what gets me going.
Not much good carrying an extra tire if I can't mount it at camp, I see the hand tools on the net for $30.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

I have never done it myself, but I watched a buddy do a set on day. It took him about ten minutes total for all 4 tires. Just stop in to harbor freight and pick up a set of the tire irons that they use to change them by hand and you should be good to go. I was surprised at how easy it was for him to change them.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have done a few and it depends on the tire on how hard it is. having a machine is the way to go for sure, as hand irons( i used big heavy pry bars and screwdrivers) w/ a heavy ply tire can be a challange and inflating the tire could be the hardest part besides breaking down the old tire if its been on for a long time. imo

Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

I've never broken down or installed a new tire but I set a bead once with ether and a match. BOOM! And it worked!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

I have always mounted my own tires. I use a jack-all and the back of the pick-up to break the bead on the old ones then pry them off with a couple of big screw drivers. I pry the new ones back on and fill with air. Not to bad of a job. The hardest part sometimes is getting the new tires to bead.

Devin

Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walmart does it here for $5.00 a tire.........

Old 10-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have said, the hardest parts is breaking the bead. Rest is a snap with a little soapy water/lubricant and a tire iron. As for getting the new one to seat I pull the valve stem out and use a ratchet strap around the tire to help out and they'll pop right in once you hit the air. After you do it a couple of times it will be a snap.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

My first ones I had the local tire shop do, they did all of them for $20, and when I put my XTR's on, we used my buddies tire machine to break the bead, and did everything else by hand, which probably took about an hour and a half or so, and we had to change with nothing, so we used the old 2X4 and a truck method to break the bead, and screwdrivers to remove the tire, we just used a short piece of 2X4, and placed it perpendicular to the rim, and the end of the board just about touching the rim, and then backed on the board with the truck, and it popped right off

Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

I had Walmart mount the tires on my Wolverine for $20, but they did not clean the rims where the tire bead seat causing a bead leak. I was able to break the bead by driving up on the sidewall with my truck, then cleaned the rim and reseated the bead by using a ratchet strap around the tire while inflating it using my air compressor. When my dad bought new tires for his Grizzly I bought a mini tire changer from Harbor Freight for $30 to do it myself so that I could insure that it was done right. The tire changer worked good for the price. If anyone is interested here is a link to the tire changer - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Old 10-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Range Rover
First Things First!

Blue Blaster
I am very interested, looks like I could break the changer down for storage on a trip and when I need it mount it to the floor of the ATV trailer. With the rocks we go over on Colorado and Utah trails a flat from a sidewall gouge is never to far from my mind.
Thanks all for the replies.

Quick Reply: Have you mounted your ATV tires yourself?