Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800 not shifting while running

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 not shifting while running

my bike started acting up bout a few weeks ago.. got where it was getting hard to shift then it started creeping in gear and when i held the brake it would squeal and could not shift it when it was running, i have to kill the bike before i shift gears..

i did some reseach and some people say that it could be rpm (which my is fine around 1100) or could need adjustment ( which i think is the problem) and could be caused by motor mount or spacers in clutch..

i took the belt cover off and the belt looks to be riding more on the left side of the clutch.. which might be caused by the motor mount because i can see a crack on the left side of it.. could this cause it to be out of line and creep, squeal, and not shift.. or will a little crack not hurt that much..

any info would help.. thanks

Old 10-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely! if the primary is not directly inline with the secondary the belt is going to grab on the sheaves. Other then that make sure your ebs one way bearing is functioning normally.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you have checked the engine mounts and they are fine, most likely it might be the bushing or the fiber washers that are gone. being to one side(if not very much of a gap) shouldn't make it creep unless it is alot. check the alignment.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unbolted the motor mount today and found that it was cracked really good and that the studs on the motor mount did not line up.. they looked something like this -_ one was straight and the other was tilted out from the crack.. turn the mount a little and flipped the kipper to the other side just to see if it acted better and no more creeping and i could shift it while it was running.. so i guess i just need to get a new motor mount and put it on.. not to bad on price $18.00

thanks for the help, i'm glad it was not nothing really bad.....

glad i didnt go by what the dealer told me.. he said it was my idle which i told him it was fine then he said it has to be the clutch.. i asked about the mount and the aliment and he said i dont have to worry about them.. thanks for this site...

Old 10-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

broken engine mounts will cause creeping and sometimes are hard to see w/ out really looking and even prying up a little. glad it got straighten out.