Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wheel spacers discussions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers discussions

I know the "main purpose" for wheel spacers is to give more clearance for the tire
to clear the ATV parts, fenders etc. when putting bigger profile tires on your quad right?

Okay what about using wheel spacers to bring out the tire some to widen your stance
for better stability and performance for those running non-14" tires? Would that apply or is it that the width gain would be too small and you still end up with less profile tire anyway (non-14")?

Thanks,

R'

Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had front spacers on my 05 800 and it helped enough to notice with stability. Really paid off when I added the 6" Gorilla lift which added 3 additional inches of width. Even 1" on each side helps a bit to keep out of ruts(unless everyone else where you ride runs them too). Only downside is pushing the wheels out will take away the protection of the fenders from flying mud/debris. Didn't really care when I was out mudding but even a leisurely trail ride would cover me and my wheeler if there was any mud on the trail(not to mention getting pelted by rocks and crap from every direction).

Old 10-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

well, they will make you a little more stable, but they put more stress on everything, by pushing the weight farther out there, and also like switz said you'll be covered even if your trying to be careful, IMO it's not worth the little bit of stability

that's my 2 cents worth R'

Old 10-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Okay so let me try to understand, those who do run the 14" Mudlites on these same style of Sportsmans would then have the same issues, right? And theres lots who I guess have preferred the 14" tires. So whats the difference? (Not being flip, a serious question) Or maybe many of them have the Fender flares for the additional mud slinging?

Thanks all for the info.!

R'

Old 10-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

As long as you don't get out of hand on the spacer size the wear on bearings and other parts is negligable. Spacers are used on many cars when wider wheels & or tires are used. Many race cars use them to no ill effect and when you put on an aftermarket set of wheels with a different offset you are probably doing the same thing to some extent. The wider stance is useful in connection to stability issues. Although, any wider tire/footprint is going to put more mud or debris on the rider. So there are pro & cons.
Good luck

Old 10-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the wider the stance the more stable as mentioned and as well you WILL put stress on the hubs,bearingsa nd everything else. imo think of a breaker bar w/ a pipe on it for added leverage. it will unloosen most of the time or break because of the extra stress right? to me it's the same princable on making a wider stance on the parts. it might not happen right away, but i think it will happen or least hurt the life of of the parts. there again this is my opinion.