Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1st impressions and missing brake on 2010 xp's?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009 | 03:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I forgot to add one thing:

IF there was any feasible way that I could have scrapped-up the extra $3,500 I would have bought the '10 SP850 with EPS instead of the '09 SP500EFI.

I just couldn't swing the extra dough with my empty pockets!

Old 10-26-2009 | 04:00 PM
Trailblazer

Rick have you looked at a Grizzly 700 they have some advantages over the 2010 XP 850. Like four wheel disc brakes, a gated shifter, wet clutch, ball joints with nuts, front and rear brake levers, front and rear steel racks. The Polaris rides much smoother than the Grizzly and I find that I don't miss having independent brake levers for the front and rear brakes. The power steering is also much better on the XP 850. I worry about the belt braking on the XP 850 every ride and the ball joints coming out of the knuckles. My ball joints had play in them at only 220 miles but I think they are still tight in the knuckles but I have not looked at them for 300 miles and I now have 520 miles total. When I ride I always ride the XP and make my wife or kids ride the Grizzly like I said before I like the ride and power steering much better on the Polaris and with them along I have someone to tow me back if something brakes. I wonder if there are any XP 850 owners that don't worry about there belt or ball joints when the ride. Back to three vs four brakes about the only time I use the brakes is for panic stops or when I'm coming to a complete stop and already down to 5 mph, it has great compression braking and you hardly need to use the brakes for anything but complete stops. I would also think the pads would wear out much faster with one brake instead of two and if you would happen to brake the rear axle on the brake side for some reason you would have no rear brakes at all. So I hope you don't think I don't like the XP 850 I like the ride and handling over anything out there but I hope the belt and ball joints don't fall apart every time I ride.

Old 10-26-2009 | 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have never worried about the ball joints, and no longer worry about the belt. Use low like the manual says, and you'll have no issues. Use high all the time, and you'll find several pieces of belt inside the CVT housing. I ride hard, but don't think jumping 800+ pounds regularly is a great idea (though I have done a few small jumps, and it flies ok, but is no 450 sport quad. You want to get big air, get a YFZ or a LT-R) I've personally seen an 850 beaten on much harder than I use mine, and it still is solid, though the owner used high for everything, and I towed him home when his belt disintegrated. No other problems on his except popped push rivets, and I've popped three of those too.

I think all the manufacturers make good machines (even AC), with some being better than others. I chose the 850 because it handles so great, is darn fast enough, and I had great luck with the 500HO I owned previously. I haven't experienced the Polaris problems some people have, but I do my maintenance regularly, and try not to take the machine beyond it's ability. Neglect any quad, even a Honda, and it will crap out on you eventually.

Oh, and the XP absolutely could benefit from separate brake controls, but I like the shifter location and operation.

Old 10-26-2009 | 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RickB
Outty's lack of customer support with it. Three year warranty, hughhhh, yeah right...
With both Polaris and Can-Am lack of "Customer Service" is a dealer issue in almost every case IMO......some provide good service and some suck...there are horror stories with both brands. Some dealers seem to get everything warrantied and others apparently can't get anything warrantied. I think in most cases it boils down to having a dealer that knows what they are doing and what to say to the warranty people...they have to put forth some effort. Some of the stories I have heard lead me to believe that some dealers will actually put forth effort to steer the manufacturer out of warranting problems,sometimes by purposeful ommission of details ect, that clearly should be warrantied...JMO

Old 10-26-2009 | 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

I ride motorcycles a lot one thing I wish my xp had was right hand brake control instead of left hand. Its a habit for me to always grab for the front brake and find nothing there.

Old 10-26-2009 | 05:55 PM
Trailblazer

Next time you need to stop on your XP 850 try hitting the foot brake and pulling in on the clutch at the same time!!

Old 10-26-2009 | 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Old 10-26-2009 | 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Terb you said----- So I hope you don't think I don't like the XP 850 I like the ride and handling over anything out there but I hope the belt and ball joints don't fall apart every time I ride.---- Im going to do a how to plus pictures on changing an XP belt in the field soon. Looking for a belt now not sure if going with polaris or highlifter 3g to carry along with me when I ride. I think the hardest part if I break a belt will be the cleanup. The service manual looks to me to be just nuts and bolts you already have the clutch tool.

Old 10-26-2009 | 07:44 PM
Trailblazer
Old 10-27-2009 | 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

Ahh Looks to easy(the belt change) scratch this off the worry list huh!

Quick Reply: 1st impressions and missing brake on 2010 xp's?...