Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

91 Octane at the Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried the 87 vs. 91 in my popo and noticed in colder weather it runs much smoother and starts easier with the 91. I've also started putting a few oz. of seafoam in every tank full. Don't know if the seafoam helps any but I like to think it does.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Well it may not call for it but with all the Polaris ATV's I've had I have come to believe that there is an issue that comes with the ethenol in the 87-89 gas. Most all fuel parts are constatly needing replacement do to dry rot and other things. I want to switch to 91 without ethenol in it to see what happens. The price is about .20 more per gallon but in the hundreds of dollars I have spent on rubber parts I could buy ALOT of 5 gallon gas cans of premium for the $.20 difference in price....Now there is looks of 20% ethenol soon!
I've put $290 into rubber fuel parts. At $.2 difference in premium that would have bought me 1450 gallons of 91 if that has been the issue to start with.

I have had some minor issues with fuel lines early on. No big deal and NEVER any carb issues.

I have equipment I use only 2 weeks out of a year. I used to put stabil in it. One year, many years ago, I forgot to put it in at the end of the season. Never messed with the stuff again.

The gasoline sits in it all year long in a vented tank. Never any problems. Last year I lost my crop and the gasoline had to sit in the tank for two years. Two weeks ago I had to crank up all my engines to test them out. All of them started just fine and ran just fine with two year old gas in them.

One of those engines is a Huskie two stroke leaf blower. It had gasoline in it for two years; with mixed oil. It cranked right up and ran perfect for about twenty hours. It runs WOT until the tank runs dry. It's fueled up and same thng over and over again.

All of these engines had eth gasoline in them for many years. Something else is up besides your gasoline.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

Kalifornia??? You mean California? Anyhow, ethanol burns hotter and is more corrosive than "gas". The E-85 engines all have stainless steel components (rods/lifters etc.) They also have more water content. Not Good. I was under the impression that I should only run 87 octane or 93 octane. The 89 octane contains a chemical to blend the two which isn't good for the engine either. Put half 87 and half 93 if you want a boost. IMO

Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

Yah, I dont care about what octane grade the gas is, what I am worried about is the 10% ethenol that is in the 87-89. That is a full gallon of straight ethenol in 10 gallons of gas. That is alot IMO. Going to use 91 to get rid of the 10% and see how that goes!! Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the main reason for the non-oxygenated gas is because it is supposed to burn cleaner in non-catalyst vehicles(cycles, atv's, small, engines, collector cars)and doesn't break down as fast. I agree that running 110 is a complete waste of time/$ unless your ride is modified(much higher compression than stock) to the point of needing the higher octane. The 10% ethanol shouldn't be a problem. Any newer fuel injected engine is designed to run on it. The problem was the MTBE blended crap. Sea foam occasionally is a great idea and stabilizer is a must if it sits idle for extended periods of time. I think Doctorturbo lucked out because CA has way strict standards and more than likely still adds plenty of stabilzer to their pump gas. His 2 stroke can sit longer because the oil mix for the gas has stabilizer in it. I typically run 87 octane except for the winter because my wheeler sits idle more and haven't had any problems.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

magnum ,are you sure the 91 blend is ethanol free?? it's just that i live in central illinois and i deliver the squeezin's everyone is writing about. with 93 octane premium and 87 octane at the rack it's too much of a hermorphadite blend to do it . to make 91 octane --it takes 55% 87, 35% 93 & 10% ethanol. not saying that your station doesn't have ethanol in it but you should be sure and ask.around here there is only one dealer that has 87 straight product, all else has ethanol in it.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

Originally Posted by 4getful2
magnum ,are you sure the 91 blend is ethanol free?? it's just that i live in central illinois and i deliver the squeezin's everyone is writing about. with 93 octane premium and 87 octane at the rack it's too much of a hermorphadite blend to do it . to make 91 octane --it takes 55% 87, 35% 93 & 10% ethanol. not saying that your station doesn't have ethanol in it but you should be sure and ask.around here there is only one dealer that has 87 straight product, all else has ethanol in it.
I think by Law that they have to show ethenol content on the pumps with that yellow sticker that you see on them. Not 100 % sure but I think thats how it goes. The 91 that I bought did not have that sticker and it's premium unleaded. Who knows though. I'll start making my own gas...LOLOL....Thanks for the info guys!