Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Warn XT30 Wireless...wtf??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warn XT30 Wireless...wtf??

So I took my rig out for the first time with the new XT30 winch the other day and found something interesting about the Warn wireless remote system. I got out into the mudholes, and the remote would only work if I was right next to the machine and if I stepped more than a few feet away, it started cutting out. Apparently, if you have your cell phone anywhere near the receiver box, it interferes with the wireless remote signal...I had my phone in the front cargo box and the receiver is right under the front bulkhead panel.

I was pissed at first thinking I blew all that $ on a piece of junk! But the thing worked fine at home before I left, like up to 100 feet away it still worked. (no phone in sight there)Tried it out and sure enough, if the phone gets near the machine, the remote gets funny. Just thought I'd post this in case anybody else had the same deal happen.

As a side note, it only seems to be a problem when the phone is in "analog" mode...no probs in digital mode.
Am I crazy or does this seem possible?

Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely possible. They're likely operating on or near the same frequencies.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good info to post toyoman. thanks.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

that is very interesting, just curious what cell provider you have?
and like quint said, they could be running on the same or very close analog frequencies

Old 10-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Thanks for the tip!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

I'm more amazed that anyone still uses analog cell signals. Didn't that get phased out a LONG time ago?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Angel of Death
I'm more amazed that anyone still uses analog cell signals. Didn't that get phased out a LONG time ago?
For the most part in metro areas it's all digital, but out in the country where I was riding, I noticed my phone had switched over to analog. I have Verizon wireless.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't have to worry about it for long. Analog is going away cuz the gov't wants it for low level communications. That's why they don't make the tri-mode phones anymore. I thought that was supposed to be phased in earlier this year. I have Verizon too and that's what I was told by them. Sucks because there's a lot of remote places I ride up here in MN & don't get a good signal half the time. Probably why the dorky guy from their commercials is never seen on his phone in a swamp in northern MN!

Old 11-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.

Originally Posted by toyoman28
For the most part in metro areas it's all digital, but out in the country where I was riding, I noticed my phone had switched over to analog. I have Verizon wireless.
If you can...next time the phone switches to analog, take a pic of it so you can show a store salesman what its doing. Verizon is supposed to be 100% digital. I had a new phone from them earlier this year that was switching to analog in extended coverage areas, customer service said that something was wrong with it and to return it to a store for a refund or a replacement, that their service is all digital including extended coverage areas. The reason I suggest taking a pic is due to the sales personnel not believing me when I first returned to the store where I got the phone. Customer service had to put a note in my file to get the exchange taken care of. Also it might not hurt to let them know that it is interfering with the operation of a wireless remote device, if I'm not mistaken that is against FCC regulations.