Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800X2 ran out gas and now runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 800X2 ran out gas and now runs rough

After giving my 07 800X2 a good washing I started it up to run it to dry it off. I noticed that I was very low on gas. The instrument panel was blinking FUEL and the ATV was running very rough (spuddering like it was out of gas). I stopped the ATV and added fresh fuel that I know was purchased only 3 days ago.

Even after adding the fuel the ATV continued idleing erratically and running rough. The ATV won't go over about 45 mph and has no pick-up. Strangely enough, if I let it sit for a little while and then start it the idle is fine, but when I give it throttle the rough running appears and then the idle gets rough???

Last year after running out of gas and putting what I thought at the time must have been bad gas in the ATV it had similiar syptoms. I took the ATV to the dealer at that time and he said he put fresh fuel in and rode it around their track for about 2 miles and that did the trick (and charged me $100). So today I rode the ATV two miles in its present condition and that did not do the trick.

So I guess my questions are: Could this be a differrent issue than the one last year when it ran out of gas, and does this sound like something I should try to ride through? Thanks

Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

I would change the sparkplugs. That would cause it to run that way, perhaps on only one cylinder?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer

If its not the plugs then maybe the wiring? I had a car that would do that when I would go through the carwash. It would run rough and stall out if not given gas. After it dryed out a bit it was fine. Never did find the problem though.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello Sir, I would check your fuel filter, and if that is not the problem check the carb jets. It may have and trash in the bottom of the tank it picked up when you allowed the fuel to get really low....

Regards,
Max

Last edited by stendori; 11-02-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by offroad_patrol
Hello Sir, I would check your fuel filter, and if that is not the problem check the carb jets. It may have and trash in the bottom of the tank it picked up when you allowed the fuel to get really low....

Regards,
Max
Agree, check fuel filter and jets, also Somtimes just a little water getting into the electrical connections can play hell on your system. Good thing to do regardless if it's the problem is to go through all of them and give them a good coat of electrical/silicone grease.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad_patrol

Regards,
Max
this is an EFI model. no carb. make sure it didn't throw any codes(don't know why it would) from running out of gas and check spark plugs.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Pro Rider

I have had my 700 get a little water in the spark plug boots while going through a mud hole, and I also have had it happen while I was washing it

I just took off the boots blew some compressed air down in there to clean it out good, and I took out the plugs just to check, but I reinstalled, and put a fair amount of die electric grease in the plug boot, and it happened one more time after I did that when I pressure washed it with the side panels removed, and I just re die electric greased and it has been good for over a year and a half

Old 11-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider

ditto on the spark plug boots, get some dielectric grease and put in both boots, should prevent this.