Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

clutch engagement after rev the engine high

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i only see one spring right after you take the front plate off there is a spring that is the one i think is orange where is the second spirng at

Old 11-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

The spring you are seeing now it the primary spring on the motor clutch. The secondary spring is in the rear clutch. That clutch should come off the machine without any special tools. Once it is off, on the back side there is a snap ring that is holding the spring and helix in the clutch. It is under pressure so you have to push down on it, remove snap ring and then slowly allow the helix to come out of the clutch.

That color primary spring is not stock. Depending on what you want/need to do will depend on what you should do next. To lower engagement you can get a different spring, but all of your other parts might not be correct either. OR if you can find out what the spring rate is on your current spring you can adjust accordingly. Without knowing what brand spring it is makes it really hard. EPI makes both a orange and a red spring. I would try to get more info from the guy you bought it from to find out what exactly he has done to it.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

my issue was more that i thaught something was wrong i dont mind it the way it is just wanted to make sure before i put it all back togather that this is something that is not broken thanks alot for your info are there alot of issues with the reverse not working in these machine ran acsorr another one same year wont go in reverse i know sometimes it s just a adjustment in the rod

Old 11-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

Most aftermarket springs will have higher engagement then stock. Especially two strokes with pipes the higher engagements help out the bottom end power. How high actuall rpms will vary between springs and companys. If it is a smooth engagement and you like how it feels, and it performs well you are good to go.

I hear of more shifting issues because of linkages then i do of broken trannys.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up

thanks again ur help is much appreciated