Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris sportsman battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris sportsman battery

I just purchased a 2003 Polaris Sportsman Twin 600. The seller says it needs a new battery. I am going to drive 600 miles to pick up this ATV and want to take a battery with me. From what I can find the 30L-B battery is the size it normally uses,(none available locally, I'm leaving Monday) What is the biggest battery I can fit in the case without major mods. Locally I have found a size 50 battery available, Anyone know if that battery will fit? Anyone have the measurements of the battery compartment? Any small automotive batteries that will fit?
Dave

Old 11-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow your going along ways to pick this up and i hope it's a good bike for ya w. no issues other then a dead battery. worse case any 12 volt battery wil work to start it if you can't find the correct one until you can get one. even walmart might have the right size. i'm sure if the 600's have the same as the 7 and 800's or not so i really can't you the right size to get. good luck.
ok form looking the part numbers it looks like it's a 30 amp battery and it is the same as the 700's and most of the rangers so hiopefully that helps people know to check size and get back to you.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Stendori,
Yea it's a long way to go but It is about 8 miles from my Daughter's house so it's a good excuse to go visit. Wal mart shows a 30ah battery but didn't have any in stock. My Son in Law did a test run on the Sportsman so it's not "sight unseen". I've got other batteries I can take with me to start it with but it would be handy to just take the right battery with me. I'm new at ATV's (first one I've bought in 15 years). My last one was a Suzuki 125, long ago. I'm sure I'll have other questions so be prepared.
Dave

Old 11-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

its the same battery as the 700. i just bought 1 for my 2003 600.got it from batteries plus. i got the 2 year battery.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would go with the standard battery.

I would bring a jumper box with you if you have one. I see my local dealer use one often to bring new ATV's into their showroom.

600 miles? Are you nuts? LOL! This Sp600 had better be a VERY good deal to waste that time/gas/tolls/food/housing.

Let's see, at 10 miles per gal and the price of gas is $2.63 fuel alone will set you back $315.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 600 miles you will come across another Wally World!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've got another battery (100ah) and jumper cables. The seller jumped the Polaris to start it for my Son in Law to test drive it so I know it starts that way. Yes 600 mi is a long way to drive for an ATV. Fortunatly my GMC Duramax Diesel is getting 20mpg. The trip also gives me an extra excuse to visit my daughter and son in law and our newest granddaughter. The price seems pretty good for a low hour (under 200 hrs) Polaris 600 sportsman (with title). When I put a new battery in the Polaris I want to use the largest that will fit for extra capacity with the winch and other possible acessories. That is the reason for this post. I know many atv owners want a smaller lighter battery (lighten everything for added performance). In my case I want the extra capacity. I'll be headed south west at 4am tomorrow morning.
Dave

Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

good luck

Old 11-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Pro Rider

Go to O'reilly's and buy the gel filled 30 L, much batter battery than the acid filled, more cranking amps and turns them over better, these batteries are expensive, 100 to 120 bucks, They are also a bear to get out of the battery box, easier to remove the whole box then get the battery out of it.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Smile

We made it to Dallas and picked up the Sportsman 600. Looks pretty good for $2500. No pics yet, I'll take them after I get back to Southern Illinois. My wife and I are visiting with our kids now. Starts fine by jumping with another battery, rides good too. I'm sure I'll do some clean up and I'll find some issues (its a used machine). It has 192 hours on it, that seems low for a 03 model, any opinions?
Dave

Quick Reply: polaris sportsman battery