Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris 2up touring sportsman 550cc or 800cc?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobuff
I am looking to buy a 2up atv that can tow an atv wagon carrying camping/fishing gear, dog and girlfriend. Terrain I would be riding in are the rocky mountains of colorado. Lots of rocks, steeps, descents, and water crossings. My question is, what size engine would be sufficient: 550cc or 800cc. Your input would much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey cobuff, (Bet that's short for Colorado Buffalo's )

Like you, many of the trails we ride are extremely rough, steep, "washed-out" logging roads strewn with boulders, ledges, logs... and a bunch of other stuff. Based on our experience, I'd be VERY careful trying to pull an ATV wagon (or similar) up (or down) such terrain. Just having a trailer back there, never mind the added weight behind you, can put you in some "bad" situations" in a hurry on such trails.

I can only imagine how much more magnified those situations can be out in the Rockies compared to the "hills" we have back here.

My advise would be two ATV's with front and rear cargo boxes... packed to distribute the weight as best as possible. It would be different if you were only riding nice, smooth, groomed trails.

Good luck with your decision, and be careful.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even if you dont get the 850 for the power get it for the smooth engine.... the single 550 may be acceptable but the one i started at the dealer would shake the headlight pod pretty violently. Not what i want. The 800 and 850 engines are very smooth, especially in low speed situations... just something about the parallel twin when your crawling along..

Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont think there is anything wrong with subjective comparisons here ya'll. I here you though Stendori we are in the polaris forum and I will respect that there is probably a bit of a bias here. But lets not forget we are the consumers and together we can help each other to make the right decisions don't you think. DCT I have to admit you've got me a bit more concerned about pulling a trailer on these mountain trails. I am curious what sort of experiences you have had. I was trying to avoid buying two atvs because of the added cost (retail/maintenance/insurance). Also I have to consider how to carry my dog on these outings. He is an 85lb lab not exactly a lap dog. And DCT you would be right in assuming I am a Colorado Buffalo! Sad to say we have had four down years of football and our commander in chief Hawkins is here to stay! arggghhh!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 PM
DCT
Banned

cobuff,

I've seen a very experienced rider have an ATV just about flip over backwards and/or on it's side when trying to get a deer out in an ATV trailer going over an offset ledge on a steep incline. Fortunately, there were two of there to quickly pull the front end of the quad down and pull the trailer to the one side. It wasn't even a really that big of a ledge... just enough that all the weight on the hitch must have been to much for the situation I guess.

Trust me, if you are riding in steep, rocky or uneven terrain, you want to be careful. If it were me, I would go have a long look at the trails where I plan on towing the trailer. If any of it looks even remotely difficult for an ATV alone... think of how tricky it will be with an attached trailer with some weight in it.

Even then, you don't know what a heavy rain storm or snow melt runoff will do to a trail. It can be decent today, and a nightmare tomorrow... usually fun with just an ATV... maybe not so much fun with a trailer attached.

Again, I'm not sure what the trails look like where you plan on riding. Ours are "unmaintained" trails in the mountains, and they are a challenge under good conditions. Your mountains are just a "tad" bigger.

BTW, we have a guy that rides with us once in a while who carries his Golden in a large, home made front rack (with cushion)... not something I would recommend... but he does it. When the going gets rough, he lets the dog off (or she jumps out LOL) and she just follows along for a while (and gets in the way LOL).

Anyhow, I'd hate to see you spend the money, make the plans, and end up not being able to go... or get yourself and your girlfriend into a dangerous situation. (Actually, I'm just worried about the dog )

Good Luck.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cobuff
I dont think there is anything wrong with subjective comparisons here ya'll. I here you though Stendori we are in the polaris forum and I will respect that there is probably a bit of a bias here. But lets not forget we are the consumers and together we can help each other to make the right decisions don't you think. DCT I have to admit you've got me a bit more concerned about pulling a trailer on these mountain trails. I am curious what sort of experiences you have had. I was trying to avoid buying two atvs because of the added cost (retail/maintenance/insurance). Also I have to consider how to carry my dog on these outings. He is an 85lb lab not exactly a lap dog. And DCT you would be right in assuming I am a Colorado Buffalo! Sad to say we have had four down years of football and our commander in chief Hawkins is here to stay! arggghhh!
you are right about nothing wrong w/ a friendly comparison of models and advice. but i have seen threads in the past turn into a free for all pissing match, which i won't let go on. each bike has good points and bad points (no matter what the brand) and each person will try to give thier own experince on how the bike or bikes has worked for them. i do like dct's concerns about being loaded down and or hauling a trailer of anykind over extremly rough terrain as being dangous. which ever way you go, just be safe and enjoy so to live and ride another day.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:37 AM
DCT
Banned

cobuff,

One other thing to consider. If you are going up in the the mountains alone (or two of you on one ATV), you probably want to have an ATV with EFI... that's a good thing, and a bad thing. The good thing is the EFI will automatically adjust for the altitudes. The bad thing is... there are not many ATV's with EFI that have a "pull start". If you only have one ATV without a pull start, and it won't start with the key, you are... well... stuck and SOL. If you have two ATV's, at least you can get a tow, or ride off the mountain and get help/parts.

I've already towed an EFI machine off our mountain (and it was a Honda LOL).

Just something else to keep in mind.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:43 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

This is what a 500 and 700 can pull and carry. It takes two guys just to put the box on the rear rack on,let alone the heavy stuff (35000 w generator and stuff) in the trailer.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Range Rover

We pull trailers in to our hunting camp up the Alaska Highway over a distance of about 30 miles and it is good to go with someone else to help out. That muskeg will throw stuff at you that makes your winch cringe. Some of the trails are steep and in late October they can get iced up on the up side of creeks. We have often had to tie two quads together to pull our trailers up these hills. Chains are a great idea if the weather is going to go bad. TLC is correct about a trailer putting you in a bad situation in a hurry. Go with the single axle trailer, the tandem will just allow you to overload yourself. The good thing about it is it has electric brakes. That should stop the trailer from jacking you around while going downhill and turning. Once you start turning while going downhill the back will get light and the tongue of your trailer will push you around and then lift the back inside wheel off the ground. If you don't hit the gas in a hurry to pull it around you can get yourself in a bad spot in a hurry. Take your time and plan each section where the trail gets bad. If it seems iffy drop you passenger. Travelling with others is the safest and best way plus the challenge of the trail is the best part.
Take care
Dave