Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris recalls the XP

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rancher, your build date is included. I wonder why your dealer said it's not?

Mine was not within the recall or TSB dates, but I had the dealer check them anyhow, even though I checked them also, just so I have documentation that it was checked.

It's a good idea to hang onto the receipts and work orders, even though the dealer should have it in their computers.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lovmudd
Mine has a build date of 11-19-08 and the top left is loose. the rest are tight. I haven't seen anything about specific build dates, so I figure mine will be covered.
Mine was built in early '09 and the right front is shot. It was not covered within the dates, but warranty is taking care of it.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

I have to say I disagree on Polaris covering their a$$es...they waited way too long to do it...it could have already resulted in deaths...they are just lucky it hasn't. IMO whoever is responsible for keeping them out of hot water,whether it be the legal team,or the engineers(Who maybe failed to inform the legal team of the seriousness of the problem),they need to be fired. Polaris' is hanging out in the wind on this one...and if someone gets killed before they get notified the recall won't save them if the family"s attorney has enough sense to do some research....CTA...they didn't.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:22 PM
DCT
Banned

You're right HO, I should have said they are "trying" to CTA as quickly as possible, and should have been taken care of it a long ago. Guess they figured they couldn't write it off to "rider abuse" any longer.

Anyhow, as for me, the guys are right, I don't have an XP so I really can't speak to this issue. Mine's just costing me "buckets" of money for other reasons, but it least I won't get killed taking mine for a ride... at least I don't think so. LOL That is, if I ever get it back.

To me, all this speaks "volumes" to the quality and integrity of the company, and it's products as a whole... not just one ATV, or one recall.

Whoops... there I go "bashing" again, somebody(s) is going to be upset.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Roofer
Rancher, your build date is included. I wonder why your dealer said it's not?

Mine was not within the recall or TSB dates, but I had the dealer check them anyhow, even though I checked them also, just so I have documentation that it was checked.

It's a good idea to hang onto the receipts and work orders, even though the dealer should have it in their computers.
I asked the dealer why it wasn't included and he just told me that even though the build date is possibly one of those involved in the recall, the VIN number I gave him showed up on his screen as not needing a fix. He read back my build date (it matched what was on my frame) and said that according to the Polaris website it's fine. So....unless something goes wrong there is no reason to be recalled at this point. My thinking is that this is why Polaris wants you to get a hold of your dealer with the VIN. They must have access to some data base that let's them know if a particular ATV has the defective parts.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be interesting to see who the dealers fix first, their customers machines, or their own, so they can keep the money rolling in.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I really think some of these posts are borderline slander and/or libel.

This is a virtual world, but it is still real and we are responsible for our actions.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

i just called my dealer, even though my machines build date was 08/13/09, my dealer said it wasnt under the recall. im going to have to keep up with this.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
I have to say I disagree on Polaris covering their a$$es...they waited way too long to do it...it could have already resulted in deaths...they are just lucky it hasn't. IMO whoever is responsible for keeping them out of hot water,whether it be the legal team,or the engineers(Who maybe failed to inform the legal team of the seriousness of the problem),they need to be fired. Polaris' is hanging out in the wind on this one...and if someone gets killed before they get notified the recall won't save them if the family"s attorney has enough sense to do some research....CTA...they didn't.
It's not just Polaris. It's corporate America in general. Remember how long it took Chrysler to admit (after multiple deaths) that they had a ball joint issue on their little SUV rigs; or Firestone/Ford to admit to the tire issue where cars flipped over and many people were killed.

People hate lawyers, but.....those fat lawsuits keep these companies in check. It's the potential monetary loss factor that keeps us safe. Lawyers licking their chops is ultimately good for us riders who have to live with these machines that are relatively dangerous by nature. Last thing we need is to have a joint pull apart while riding.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

I disagree. It's not the stinking lawyers we owe anything to. They are the ones who's litigation and endless frivolous lawsuits that have caused the high cost of many products and services. The power to decide if a company puts out a safe, decent product is the people....the consumer. Allowing a third party to 'look out' for our welfare can be a costly endeavor for all of us. Why do you think we dont have three wheelers anymore or even many powersports rental companies? Lawsuits.

Quick Reply: Polaris recalls the XP