Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help please!!!! Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please!!!! Starter problem

I have an '02 Sportsman and have installed a new starter. The problem is, I can't voltage to the starter. I can turn the starter hooked up direct to the battery and I can get 13 volts to the end of the hot wire when not connected to the starter. When I connect the starter, the volts go down to .3. I can't figure out why this is the case. I have a good ground directly to the frame.

The only thing I can think of is that somehow I have lost the solid connection from the engine block to the fram?????

Is this possible or should I look somewhere else????

Old 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Have you checked the starter solenoid?

Old 01-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I already replaced the solenoid. The other one was fine, but I replaced it anyway.

I should clarify, I get 13 volts on the startor side of the solenoid as long as the starter is not hooked up.

I think it has to be a ground issue, but am not sure enough to be certain.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so your getting power thru the solenoid when you turn the key to the starter? is there a ground on the starter or is it grounded thru the started bolts to the case?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Range Rover

When you jumped the starter right off the battery i can only assume it was not hooked up to where it would crank the engine?

It could be a bad battery if so.
If the voltage drops like that with a load you might just need a new battery.
Try jumping it with another 12v system like your vehicle or another quad if you have one.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by stendori
so your getting power thru the solenoid when you turn the key to the starter? is there a ground on the starter or is it grounded thru the started bolts to the case?
It was grounded through the starter bolts, but I regrounded the unit straight to the frame. I did not have 13v to the starter wire before I regrounded it, but now I do, as long as I do not have the starter hot wire connected to the starter.

Originally Posted by rkuhnjr
When you jumped the starter right off the battery i can only assume it was not hooked up to where it would crank the engine?

It could be a bad battery if so.
If the voltage drops like that with a load you might just need a new battery.
Try jumping it with another 12v system like your vehicle or another quad if you have one.
When I tested the starter, it was out of the unit and hooked directly to my truck battery. It turned like it is supposed to. This (should) mean the starter is good.

This is a brand new battery that is acting just like the old battery that I had in the quad. Even if the battery was bad, I would not think the volts would drop as low as 0.3. Maybe to 5-7v, but not as low as it does. I have had this battery on a constant maintenence charge since I installed it. I still think this has something to do with the starter or the ground. Maybe I am wrong.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

Maybe its your battery that is not grounding right.
Try running a cable right to the starter from the negative post of your battery.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by rkuhnjr
Maybe its your battery that is not grounding right.
Try running a cable right to the starter from the negative post of your battery.
The battery is grounded through the starter bolts to the case. I bought the quad used and the starter was shot. There has definately been some rerouting of wires, but the hot is new and the ground is new as well.

I have lights and everything else that I am supposed to have, just can't get voltage to the starter when it is connected to the hot wire.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds as you mentioned that someone has made a mess of the rewiring and maybe reverse somehow the routing of voltage?? sounds like a mystery.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Short of rewiring the system, I am at a loss right now.

Any other ideas?????

Quick Reply: Help please!!!! Starter problem