Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

86 Trailboss Starter Access?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Trailboss Starter Access?

While trying to start my 86 Trailboss in the cold after a few attempts it froze up but still sounded like the started was trying to work. After tearing into it a found the starter and bendix assembly come apart. The starter still works and will turn over when you bump the start button. I tried to pull start it and it was locked up. Next I tore into the starter removal process and found the bendix was loose and binding with the flywheel. There are 5 bolts holding the starter on. I removed the 3 bolts holding the starter to the housing but could only get 1 of the 2 bolts off the bracket near the rear of the starter. The last bolt is blocked by the inner clutch cover. So I started by removing the outer clutch cover, belt, driven clutch, and then I stopped when I couldn’t figure out how to remove the drive clutch. It looks to be threaded on but I couldn’t get it to turn off. So my question is .. Does it just come off tight or will I need to remove something else or need a special tool for removal? Also, while I am in near this inner and outer clutch covers I need to adjust it because the driver clutch assembly is rubbing the inner cover. These covers have a seal to help keep the elements out and the seal looks to need some attention also. Will some permatex work or are these seals still available? Thanks for your insight..

Old 01-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking onto it further and borrowing a cluth removal tool from a friend. The clutch is off...Useing a 3/4-16 fine thread as a jacking screw it popped the cluth assembly off the tappered crank shaft. The inner cover come off and gave me easy access to the starter and removal. Hopefully its just the bushing/guide for the starter drive/ bendix because the whole starter assembly is $300 +... OUCH!