Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fab a rear rack for dog to ride along.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out ATV Accessories, UTV Accessories, warn winch, cargo box - Montana Jack's and click on the American Trails bags. They offer a large flat padded area to mount to your rear rack.

Some friends that ride with us just covered their rear rack with a piece of 1/2" plywood and cover it with a nonslip rubber mud flap and added a 2X4 around the edge, seems to work great for their dog, he goes everywhere we go and hangs on great.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built one for my dog about 4 years ago. I just used a plywood base and put 2x6 walls on the two sides and back, and put some carpet down. I just use a ratchet strap around the rack extender to keep it secure. My lab loves it!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:53 AM
PWN
Trailblazer

We have one of these on the 700 SP. We lined it with some old carpet, and the dogs like it. The carpet gives them something to grip,and keeps the mud/water from the tires off them.

http://www.rampconnection.com/atv-mesh-rack-4.jpg

Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I am just trying to picture this, but would your dogs really be able to relax riding in the back/or the rear of the ATV? Just curious! I think it is an awesome concept and envious of such a thing, lol. Any videos?

Regards,

R'

Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RticKwad
I am just trying to picture this, but would your dogs really be able to relax riding in the back/or the rear of the ATV? Just curious! I think it is an awesome concept and envious of such a thing
My GSP loves to ride along. Sometimes my wife will hold her and she just sits there and watches for birds and squirrels. Once we hit an open area, I let her off so she can rip around off the main sled trails where it's safer. Nobody wants to worry about hitting a dog, so it's not really fair to let them run wild on the trails. Snowmobiles are just so fast it's hard to believe. The acceleration and the top speed is just staggering on modern sleds.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 AM
PWN
Trailblazer

Mine love it. When I start mine up, my catahoula jumps on. He's always ready. He sits behind me wedged between me & the storage box.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey R, mine loves it. She used to run to the river but then her hips would hurt her after running down, swimming for a couple hours and running back straight up about a mile. When my wife goes for walks in the summer she takes the dog and I'll meet up with them. Soon as the dog hears me coming she turns and runs toward me and jumps right on. It's funny how good she has gotten at riding. I yell hold on Co, and she'll dig her claws into my back and push against her back board to stay steady. In the three years she's been riding she only fell off once and it was my fault. We were going down a steep hill and the ADC kicked in hard and she just jumped. I would say she has definately logged more miles than my wife on the wheeler.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

IMPRESSIVE! And I noticed your signature block, I can see you all starting a trend, Canine Quad riding! Maybe we could ask the forum admins to create a seperate forum, lol. Does she where a helmet? This puts a whole new spin on 2-UP riding ya know! Before you know it where the Factory stickers are with 16yrs and older and NO Double passengers, invision a sticker with circle cross with a Dog in it, lol.. j/k

Well we hope not, Have FUN, ride safe and hang on to boomer!

Cheers,

R'

Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Trailblazer
Thumbs up

Man I'd love to take my dog but he HATES to ride in a car. Can't imagine the ATV he does greet me when I come home on it. He's a lab/white shepard mix so he loves the woods but not riding in them you guys are lucky

Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Sounds like a good case for Caezer Milan (Dog Whisperer)....lol