Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

front gearcase

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front gearcase

I am having trouble with my 05 700 sportsman. It wont come out of four wheel drive. the service tech. told me it was the roll cage that was bad. He also said to just keep riding it, as long as I dident do any donuts and it would be ok. I am not questioning what I was told, just wanting to know if anyone else has the same problem, and who has replaced their roll cage assembly. If so was it a big job?
Thanks Steve

Old 02-03-2010, 05:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by swc6179
I am having trouble with my 05 700 sportsman. It wont come out of four wheel drive. the service tech. told me it was the roll cage that was bad. He also said to just keep riding it, as long as I dident do any donuts and it would be ok. I am not questioning what I was told, just wanting to know if anyone else has the same problem, and who has replaced their roll cage assembly. If so was it a big job?
Thanks Steve
welcome to the forum steve. most likey the tech might be right about the roller cage being bad and it will contiune to work for a while beofre it totally fails. what happens sometimes is if the back wheels are spinning and you switch to awd while they are then snap it will break the roller cage alomost every time. the cage it self is fairly expensive when bought from polaris. if you doa search on here you'll find a bunch of post about it and some have actually used john deere parts to fix it which is alot cheaper.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

Here is a link to a post from a couple months ago where i had listed some of the part #'s. Hope this helps. I replaced mine with JD parts and it is still working great.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ive-sp500.html

Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer
Default front gearcase

I would not ride your bike tell it breaks, I did that and when it broke it was hell getting out, the front diff locked up and then the belt broke, we had to drag the bike with a rhino about two miles out to the road and the diff would go in and out of gear and the rear seal went south and I lost all the diff fluid and by the time we got to the road the front diff had smoke coming out of it. the bearing were all shot and the pinion had a grove cut into it by the seal. so I priced all the parts for it and ended up buying a used diff on e-bay and put new seals and roller cage in it. so there my two cents.

also its not a hard job, the hardest part is removing the axles from the diff, I used two wedges and hammered them between the case and axle, until they pushed out then pried them the rest of the way out.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help, I ordered replacement parts from John Deere, They should be in Tuesday. I am working on getting the front gearcase out and hoping to have it running by next weekend. again thanks, Steve