Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Local Dealer parts prices vs. online prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local Dealer parts prices vs. online prices

I'm coming from from the Auto industry, where I was always able to to buy parts at a very good discount. I have learned there is a very large mark up on most parts, and how much of a discount depends on who you are associated with. No one went broke for giving discounts.

I like to support my local Polaris dealer, but every time I buy parts from them, I feel like I am throwing money away. The things I buy can always be had at a much reduced price by buying on line. Latest example is the Mudlites XTR's delivered to my door for $449.99. Again, I don't think these guys are going broke for giving discounts.

I know this is a hot topic and I don't want to get everyone going, but if most on line dealers can give you discounts, why can't my local dealer? You think they would be able to at least come a little close to matching prices. It is getting to the point that everyone I know is buying on line because of local prices. That can't be good for the local dealers.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

It is mainly because online stare are parts distributors like http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/home.do where they buy in bulk then resell it to there customers. Your local dealer depending on size only buys what he or she needs then resales it. Most of the time when they get there supplies it from a third party source causing the high prices.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good dealer will price match on oem stuff. They can't come close to touching aftermarket prices though. I still buy some stuff from them like oil/filters and a few misc things to keep a good rapport(aside from the fact that I spend bucko bucks every few years on wheelers/bikes). A lot of it has to do with branding. Buy a rear wheel bearing for $60 from popo or get a pair for less than half that on ebay. You know popo is buying in bulk like the other guys and shipping to dealers so they should have some wiggle room.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

I shouldn't of used tires in my example, as I was really referring to Polaris OEM parts. I guess I'm just frustrated my dealer won't give any kind of break on parts, when other dealers are happy to do so.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

My dealer gives anyone who buys a new ATV 10% of parts for a lifetime!

Old 02-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea I feel the same way. I have seen retailers/dealers time and time again will let you walk out the door and lose a sell then drop a price by $10 to match competitors. I hear what others are saying about group purchases and dealers buying from their suppliers etc. etc. but you would think especially now in the economy WE have been in for awhile there would be more flexibility. Just like my Dad said business owners would rather go bankrupt and fold on their business then to slash prices at half off or more and take a hit on profit margins to just keep business afloat. I really really don't understand that line of thinking?

R'

Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

I think it all depends on the person running it.... if they are a tightwad, then you are not going to change that.

Example:

I bought my machine brand new from the local dealer. They were thrilled to be moving the machine out of their shop and were very nice. I shortly found out they were just blowing smoke because it was right after my warranty ran out on my machine, it started leaking anti-freeze out the weep hole. I started looking into it and found out that to do the job correctly, I would need a special tool which cost about $100.00. So I figured I would call the dealer, and ask what it would run to repair, they quoted it.... I do not remember what their quote was now, but it was outrageous, to the point it was going to be a lot cheaper to just buy the tool, the part, and still have money left over. I just could not justify buying the tool for a one time use at the time. So I asked them if I got everything disassembled to where they could just use their tool, swap the part, how much it would cost, and they were not willing to work with the price. So I got to thinking, there is another dealer on my way out to where I ride about 45 minutes out, so I gave them a call and explained the situation. They said if I wanted to break everything down, bring it by, and they would take care of me. I took them up on that deal, stopped by, they were nice as can be, walked outside took literally 30 seconds to do what he needed to do and I was good to go. I walked back inside, and I asked how much I owed, and he said don't worry about it. I told him how much I appreciated it, gave him $20.00 cash. I know it is not exactly the same as giving a discount on parts, but I think it all boils down to if you dealer is a stingy ***** or they really care about their customers, and competing for their business. I know for a fact that I will never even go back to the dealer I bought from just after that one incident. I have even turned business away from them and referred them to the place that took care of me.