Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

popo with trans / rear diff chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:03 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default popo with trans / rear diff chatter?

Today was the first day I took my new (158 miles on the atv) 2006 Sportsman 800 out on the trails. This is the first time I've really ever ridden a polaris big bore atv-

Does anyone else have a chatter in the rear shaft when going down hills using only the engine to slow down in 2 x 4 mode? Or even just on flat trails over roots & rocks while in AWD- sounds like there's a lot of play in the drive shaft or diff. Everything looks normal.

Feels like the damn thing is going to fall out it chatters so bad!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dos it sound like back lash, other iwse know as drive line slap when getting on and off the throttle?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:15 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

actually- it dosn't seem to do it when I'm on the throttle, but if I blip the throttle it will- like you said "on / off"

Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"BeerGut" I have also noticed that if you go down a hill with or without the brakes and you go over a bump it clunks. Also happens when you go over any other kind of hump or bump. My brothers arctic cat also does it anyone know what it is??

Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

I have also noticed that if you go down a hill with or without the brakes and you go over a bump it clunks. Also happens when you go over any other kind of hump or bump. My brothers arctic cat also does it
yep- mine does that- none of my other quads ever did it- I don't like it, I keep feeling like something is about to break!

Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 PM

your quad is IRS right? Independent rear suspension? I have only noticed that independent suspension has done this also does your rear foot brake do anything at all? Mine dosent

~Polaris man with Issues

Old 02-07-2010, 08:42 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

does your rear foot brake do anything at all? Mine dosent
it's not a brake- I believe it some kind of clutch. I don't have the owners manual, but that's what I was told.

Only brake is the left lever, which operates all 3 disks (2 front, 1 rear)

Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the noise your hearing is say when you first get onthe throttle or off the throttle, and like mentioned going the hill w/ no throttle at slower speeds, then your going to find that it is normal form what i mentioned above. the big bore(7 and 800's) are known for doing this becuse of the extra sloopy drive line. it shouldn't be making any noise in normal running or at normal speeds.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by stendori
if the noise your hearing is say when you first get onthe throttle or off the throttle, and like mentioned going the hill w/ no throttle at slower speeds, then your going to find that it is normal form what i mentioned above. the big bore(7 and 800's) are known for doing this becuse of the extra sloopy drive line. it shouldn't be making any noise in normal running or at normal speeds.
The noise dont have anything to do with the throttle. You just drive with or without the throttle and it makes it. It only does it when u are going slow. It sounds like the whole rear is going to fall apart. And "BeerGut" The pedal on the floor board is a auxillary brake not any kind of clutch. If by chance your hand brake gives out the foot pedal has its own resivore and u can use that. What i was asking is if u use the auxillary brake to slow down does it slow u down? I actually have to STAND on mine for it to slow me down. Anyone else have this problem?

~Polaris Man With Issues

Old 02-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a slight chatter from the rear. It changes frequency depending on how fast you're going. I don't think it is the clutch though. On the rear brake pedal, mine does not work. It's seized in the "in" position. I talked to the guys at the dealership and they said it won't effect the brakes other than not having the pedal. I did lift up the rear in neutral and the wheels spin without a problem. And the hand brake works fine, so for now I'm leaving it alone.

Quick Reply: popo with trans / rear diff chatter?