Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 scrambler 400 questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that's what you are looking for and it passes all your checks, buy it, they are fantastic. I had 3 of the 1999 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4's, my boys grew up on those 2 strokes, out to Colorado, Wisconsin, everywhere. The key is keeping the counter balancer fluid clean, might be a starting point for your son to learn how to keep a 2 stroke at peak performance, doesn't take much

Old 03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 400x
Did you not even read what I posted?

it should be apparent I'm a huge two stroke fan.
I'm gonna have to yank your chain if your making
the 2 strokers sound too complicated or difficult to ride.
(they are not)

Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DuneDragin

400x
I totally disagree

the Scrambler 400 4x4 two stroke has the rip when you need it.
(have the 00 I ride on the rocky mountain trails--2 of them)
check out the 4x4 function of the quad. It's really dangerous when only
3 wheels are working in all wheel drive! (switch for selectable 2x to 4x @ right thumb)

It's the best mix (IMHO) of a sport and utility type quad. You can enjoy it
in almost any riding environment and will out perform a UTE in many cases.
Once you own one awhile and get the maintainence down and learn to ride one they are great but not good for beginer

Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

Well I will put in my 1.2 cents worth.
I have to agree with eveyone. I bought my 2 stroke not running and was ignorant of what I was getting into. It needed a top end rebuild, so I took care of that. When I got it running, It was loud and a bit obnoxious. After going through the initial premixed tanks and replacing the plug, I realized I had more than I had expected.
I considered trading it for a 4 stroke, that would be more for utility purposes. However, after working on getting it tuned in, I have found that I have an attraction for this machine. I have no desire to race or go fast, but the power & torque can get your blood flowing.
I have talked to Rick Ritter, told him it was too fast, and he assured me he could help with more bottom end via clutching, which I would prefer.
All said, I did have some reservations on this bike, but now believe that it will work out for me. 2 Strokes are not hard to work on, have less moving parts and inexpensive at least to rebuild the top end.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the tips guys, my son hasnt had an atv since he outgrew the lt-80 5 or 6 years ago, but he would never be riding without me supervising anyway and hes not the daredevil type, couldnt pay him to shoot up a steep hill, im sure ill ride it more than him, hes not the typical 16 yr old boy,hes ridden my brute around few times and did ok, i do like the fact that i could rebuild this when time comes, and im familiar with 2 strokes,i've had a few husky dirtbikes, i do wish i could find a trailboss or something less peppy in my price range, and as nice of condition, im kinda torn, gonna look at it/test ride tommorrow, decisions, thanks again

Old 03-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

Good luck with your decision, what ever you decide on. I hope you and your son the best of luck with it. Let us know which way you go, as well as that Scrambler test drive.
Good luck, Bill

Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

Seems like you 2 stroke guys feel like you have to defend your views...nothing could be further from the truth. I'm absolutely not trashing anyone that likes them better.

But...if you took a person that had no experience on an atv, and no knowledge of 2 or 4 stroke engines work, there is no way you can convince me that the 4 stroke is not easier to deal with. That's why the majority of the four wheelers sold, have 4 strokes.

The powerband on a 2 stroke is different too. I climb stuff on my predator that I personally could never climb on that Scrambler. I can blip the throttle and climb up over rock ledges and ruts and sometimes just a little throttle is all you can give it. On that 2 stroke, I'd be well into the throttle before it'd go. I just didn't like it. The smooth acceleration of the 4 stroke can't be beat IMO.

I guess it'd be like comparing a manual shift with an automatic..sure you can get used to the manual shift, but the auto is just easier.

The trail boss is a cool little machine too. That was my son's first machine. that thing was so easy to work on, bulletproof and it'd go about anywhere the other ones went. It was light, easy to ride and fun. It was a little underpowered, so we dropped a tooth in the front and that gave it some zip...but did scrub off some of the top end. But, where we ride, there aren't a lot of ballz out areas..it's a good machine, IMO.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

Wow, never been called a "2 stroke guy" some of my buddies can't even 1 stroke anymore. I do'nt know if I should be offended or flattered.
I am just offering my honest opinion and definitley not defending anything.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

well, i passed on it, didnt even test ride it, decided to hold out for a trailboss, did start thinkin bout my kids, girlfriend, and unexperienced friends ridin it and pinnin the throttle by mistake, what about the trailblazer 250?, i responded to an ad on one of those the used polaris's for saleare far & few in between in this area, i ran an ad for used decent atv1500 or less& got 14 calls on warriors,1 arc cat, and that scrambler, thanks again

Old 03-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdnwakulla
Wow, never been called a "2 stroke guy" some of my buddies can't even 1 stroke anymore. I do'nt know if I should be offended or flattered.
I am just offering my honest opinion and definitley not defending anything.

you may not be as good as you once were
But surly your as as good once as you ever were.

I don't get called a guy often either

Gee, I didn't even have a choice as a "beginner"... two smokers were all there were and they all had a kick start, clutch and shifter.

I have certainly not outgrown the thrill of it.

The perky Scrammy 400 is my "cruiser".

Quick Reply: 02 scrambler 400 questions