Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 scrambler 400 questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bratsdad
well, i passed on it, didnt even test ride it, decided to hold out for a trailboss, did start thinkin bout my kids, girlfriend, and unexperienced friends ridin it and pinnin the throttle by mistake, what about the trailblazer 250?, i responded to an ad on one of those the used polaris's for saleare far & few in between in this area, i ran an ad for used decent atv1500 or less& got 14 calls on warriors,1 arc cat, and that scrambler, thanks again
since you passed on it...would you care to tell us what area your in.
I'd love to get ahold of a deal like that!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just 4 the record, I have had my 1997 Scrambler 400 since new. I have had ZERO problems with it other than the hubs needing rebuilt (sticky all wheel drive). It still starts with less that 3 pulls after sitting all winter, then after only 1 pull and runs strong and NEVER SPUTTERS and runs strong!!!! Some easy mods really make it come alive too! It'll flip up on it's grab bar when pegged.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4bratsdad
well, i passed on it, didnt even test ride it, decided to hold out for a trailboss, did start thinkin bout my kids, girlfriend, and unexperienced friends ridin it and pinnin the throttle by mistake, what about the trailblazer 250?, i responded to an ad on one of those the used polaris's for saleare far & few in between in this area, i ran an ad for used decent atv1500 or less& got 14 calls on warriors,1 arc cat, and that scrambler, thanks again
A 250 Trailblazer is an awesome beginner bike.Sporty,decent power but when they get used to it a pipe and clutch kit will turn it into a new machine again.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4bratsdad
can hook you up with a TrailBlazer with new top end for $1700: that does include 2 $125. aftermarket racks-front and back.

96 TrailBoss for $1250

but again, don't know what area your in.
These are in West Texas.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:33 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 400x
But...if you took a person that had no experience on an atv, and no knowledge of 2 or 4 stroke engines work, there is no way you can convince me that the 4 stroke is not easier to deal with. That's why the majority of the four wheelers sold, have 4 strokes.
Uhmmm.....yeah....because emissions has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 98 Polaris 400 scrambler that is sputtering once it gets hot. New carb rebuid, and new reeds. Still rough when it is warmed up. Starts and runs fine at first. It also hesitates all the time when you trottle it. thanks Madvmax

Old 09-18-2010, 06:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Tis is a copy and paste. by Sand Hog

16 Tips for Buying (or Selling) a Used Quad
November 19, 2004 — OK, let's admit it up front. For most of us, money is tight.Real tight.
But you've got to have a quad, either another one of your own for the garage or one for the spouse or one for the kids.
Heck, you're feeling generous. Quads for everybody!
So what do you do?
Buying used is the way to go. Deals may be hard to find, but they're out there.
So here are 16 tips on what to look for when buying a used quad to be sure you are getting the best machine possible for your hard-earned cash. Or, if you look at it another way, here are tips for checking your machine and fixing what needs to be fixed so that you can get top dollar when you sell.
Also, we've included information on how to keep from getting ripped off in Internet scams, which are becoming more and more common.
When you go to look at a used quad, you may want to take this issue of ATVA News with you and follow the tips step by step. It could save you from some serious unwanted surprises after you get the machine home. If the owner has a good machine for sale, he or she won't mind.
Remember, though, you are buying a used machine. So don't expect it to be showroom quality.
Good luck.

1. Have a friend or the owner help you raise the ATV up and stand it on the rear grab bar. This will allow you to inspect the undercarriage for any serious dents or damage.
2. Look closely at the frame, especially the shock mounts, A-arm mounts and intersections of frame components for any signs of rust. This is normally a sign of a stress crack and would require welding and repainting.
3. On 4x4 ATVs, inspect the CV joint boots. They should be in excellent condition. Any crack or tears will allow water and dirt to enter and cause costly repairs.
4. Also on 4x4 ATVs, if possible remove the front and rear differential inspection plugs. If the gear lube looks like chocolate milk the oil is contaminated with water and there could be damage to the bearings.
5. Check the engine oil to see whether it looks contaminated.
6. Shine a flashlight into the gas tank and look for rust. Yes, a gas tank can rush, and rust can cause carb problems.
7. Raise the ATV and support the front of it with jack stands. Then try to move each front wheel in and out from top to bottom and side to side to check for worn wheel bearings and ball joints. Do the same for the rear.
8. With the ATV on the ground, move the handlebars back and forth. This will identify worn tie rod ends.
9. Remove the seat and take the air box lid off. This is often overlooked. An air box can collect water and damage an engine. A clean air box and filter is a good sign.
10. Check all head lights, tail lights, the engine shut off switch and key switch.
11. Check the hand, foot and parking brakes. Do they operate smoothly or stick? Check for damaged or cracked cables.
12. Check the exhaust. Has the spark arrestor been removed? Almost every state and national forest requires that you have one. You don't want to get to a forest and then find out you can't ride because you don't have a spark arrestor.
13. Check for worn out tires or tires full of plugs. It's not really a problem, but worn tires or plugs should be a negotiating point on price. And the tires should be replaced with new ones. If you have never taken a tire off a wheel, don't do it. They are extremely hard to remove. It's much easier to remove a car tire from a wheel than an ATV tire.
14. Look closely at the front or rear sprockets. Each point should be uniform. If they are worn more on one side or have a hooked appearance, a new chain and sprocket set is in order.
15. After you buy a used machine, it's a good idea to change all the fluids so that you know you have fresh oil, etc.
16. Ride the machine.