Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Trail Boss fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trail Boss fuel leak

Hi all,
I have pinpointed a fuel leak to the bottom side of the carb at a nozzle which was connected to a clear hose. The hose ran down to the underside of the ATV and the opposite end was not connected to anything. I believe that this is an overflow that I have been reading about in other posts, but I am not 100% sure on that. The amount of fuel that is coming out while idling is more than what I would believe should come out of an overflow (if that is what this nozzle is). In the meantime, I have cut off a section of bad hose that had split and was leaking fuel all over the engine and reconnected and hung up so that it will not continue to flow. I have included a pic. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would continue to drip fuel while idling and when shut off? I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Trail Boss fuel leak-image0001.jpg  
Old 03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to teh forum. that is actually a drain hose to the float bowl. it looks really bad rusted and that might be the issue inside the carb bowl it self. that screw is a shut off to drain the gas out. if it's not tight then the gas would pour out the tube. if it is tight then maybe the end of the screw(inside the carb) is damaged and not letting the fuel flow stop.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Stendori. When I read your post, I asked myself, "Could it be that easy?" Well, of course not. I was hoping that the screw was just loose, but it was tight. Then I thought that maybe there was some sediment caught and it wasnt sealing correctly, but that doesnt appear to be the case either cause while it did flow strongly when I backed it off, it did stop for a second when I tightened it, but continued to drip after a second. So it appears that I have my work cut out for me in accessing the carb assembly and then disassembling the float bowl. Any ideas where I can buy parts for the assembly if I need to? I should probably start by ordering a repair manual. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Replace the needle and seat (needle valve assy),clean the jets and should be good to go. Usually dripping out the overflow tube is caused by worn needle valve,float height set a little off,or a combination of both. Anyway sounds like fuel level is getting too high and goin into the bowl tube and out the overflow. OPT

Old 03-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

After you replace the needle and seat, start turning the fuel off when machine is not in use this will make the needle and seat last alot longer.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by keif27
Any ideas where I can buy parts for the assembly if I need to? I should probably start by ordering a repair manual. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it!
Welcome to the forums.

I'd highly recommend getting a service manual. I picked one up on ebay for my old 2000 Boss for under 25 dollars. In the meantime, you could go to someplace like Ronnies and look at the parts breakdown to give you an idea of the internal parts on the carb.

Sadly, they do not make a carb kit so it's just a matter of buying the parts you'd need individually. The parts themselves aren't going to break the bank, but more than likely, you'll have to order them so there's the waiting period for them to get in.

The carb itself is not hard to work on, but Polaris made up for it by making it hard to get to. You'll have to take off the tank cover, side panels below that, take out the air box and then move or remove the tank itself. Sounds harder than it really is.

Good luck and let us know how the repair goes.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well was hoping it was simple but as mentioned it's most likely the needle and seat as mentioned. good luck.