Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

well i did it today. shatterd the front rim. the day before the wheel bots striped

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well i did it today. shatterd the front rim. the day before the wheel bots striped

well today was a great day. no camera with so no pictures. would have been nice tho. but was playing the the little bit of snow that was left. got the wheeler stuck. no shovel only a stick. well 1/2hr 45min later i gave up. it just got worse the more i tryed so i started to walk the 5miles back to the truck. almost 2hrs later i got back to the wheeler. hooked the chain up to the hitch. pulled it out. unhooked the chain was gona drive it out. but it woudny go. all i heard was crunching. speaking of witch i hear grinding a poping in the front dif. think my plastic cage is going out. anyways i put it in 4x4 and drove it to the trailer wondering why it was driveing so hard. took the flashlight. well guess i was lucky enough that a rock wedged it self inbetween the rim and arm, and punched a hold in the rim and cracked it. i hope thats all thats wrong. now i need to buy a $110 rim.

and yesterday i took the winter set off and put the summer set on and the chrome wheel bolts stripped and wrecked the studs. i think 90pound tork is way to much. since the new one i only got to 70 and seemed like they were lossing. cheap over sea junk. supose when i get my rim ill bitch about it. see ill ill get new ones again. probly not. cheaply made $h!t...

anyone else have the lug nut issue with there polaris alum rim lugnuts?
anything aftermarket that i could use thats is better?

the to top that off. just leaving town and had someone right on my bumper. so i slowed down to 15. then follow me for about 20 miles. i turn they turned. i lost them. then i whent back on the highway only for them to make a u-turn to follow me again. lost them a few times only for them to find me again. i did get behind them only for them to turn off and then get behind me again. was starteing to **** me off. was gona call the cops but they would have done nothing. but after about 45min i dont know if they gave up or didnt want to go down the road i when on. or what. but i was ready to get out with a bat and ask what the fu(k buddy?... next time im gona. i did tell a cop and ask about it. but he just said "its not harrasment" and he asked if i had a cell phone. but like that would have matterd. theyed do jack crap about it. so it wasent worth my time. ill bet if id follow a cop id get a ticket. but not the person following everyturn i made.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like you had a tought day for sure. i cracked 1 of my itp rims and used an plastic steel expoy mix and fixed it on mine, but mine was only cracked, for steel wheels it's only 12 ft lbs to torque the wheels and 90 for the the alums. i really don't torque mine as i just snugthem real good. usually w/ the longer studs for the alum. rims you don't strip them out. its the ones that only have a few threads to grab that strip.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

ya i looked in the tire and theres a rock with alum pieces in there. ill just sell the rim on ebay. if someone has a alum welder im shure it be a cheap fix. but ill just get a new one.

i do know the steel rims are 30ft lbs for mine. dont know why the chrome lugnuts are so cheap as the studs are longer and seems like about 1/2" or so is grabbing. but they still seemed to strip out. dont have no issues with the other lugnuts. just these. i stripped out one on the back. 4 one one front one, and one on the other front one. supose ill have to buy new studs and lug nuts for the rim that broke as im shure they will strip out now. guess ill find out in about 14hrs.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:54 AM
DCT
Banned

Chuck,

Sucks about your rim. If you want steel rims, look into the ITP Delta rims.

Hope you didn't do a number on that flimsy plastic roller cage.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

On the stalker issue, my wife called on her cell phone one day and said an angry woman was following her. I told her to take 4 right hand turns around a block and the woman still followed her. I then gave her turn by turn directions to our local police station. She pulled into the lot and the woman took off. My father was coming home one evening from a trap match (like skeet with a shotgun) and had a car full of teens that would get on his tail and drop back and get on his tail again. He finally pulled over to the side and waved them by. They passed him and a couple miles later he found them stopped and out of the car in the middle of the road. He stopped about 50 yards from them and they just stood there. He noticed they were starting to come toward him so he got out, opened the trunk, and slowly pulled the shotgun out of the case in full view of them. They were smart enough to leave...

Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by chuck_raduenz
the to top that off. just leaving town and had someone right on my bumper. so i slowed down to 15. then follow me for about 20 miles.
Also on the stalker issue: Be very careful about getting out with a baseball bat. You never know who you're dealing with on the other end. Clearly they are not 100% stable. Lots of psychos looking to damage something, which could be you. Somebody could be in the back seat, so it'd be 2 against one (never a winning proposition). Also never know how skilled the other guy is regardless of his apparent size, or how pissed off he is at something else that happened earlier (fired, layed-off, girlfriend issues...who knows). It just isn't worth getting out. What if you got stabbed or shot.....bleeding all over the road side. Best thing to do in my opinion would be to drive directly to a cop shop if you can't shake him in short order, regardless of your desire to beat them with a club.

Also worth mentioning that giving people the finger and running up on them is also a bad move. Not saying you did that, but just can't believe how many people make extremely aggressive moves behind the wheel. Flashing their high beams and throwin' their hands around, yelling out the window. Not good. People just need to stay calm behind the wheel. It difficult sometimes with the sheer number of fools behind the wheel.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer

they were following your QUAD they want it more then you ,
follow you home see where you park it then come back later to get the quad

shoot them all then ask questions

it's god's job to forgive
it's our job to arrange the meeting between them and god

atvjumpers

sucks you had such a bad day of riding

Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
On the stalker issue, my wife called on her cell phone one day and said an angry woman was following her. I told her to take 4 right hand turns around a block and the woman still followed her. I then gave her turn by turn directions to our local police station. She pulled into the lot and the woman took off. My father was coming home one evening from a trap match (like skeet with a shotgun) and had a car full of teens that would get on his tail and drop back and get on his tail again. He finally pulled over to the side and waved them by. They passed him and a couple miles later he found them stopped and out of the car in the middle of the road. He stopped about 50 yards from them and they just stood there. He noticed they were starting to come toward him so he got out, opened the trunk, and slowly pulled the shotgun out of the case in full view of them. They were smart enough to leave...
That's good your Dad got the gun. I would have run for the gun and touched a couple off in a situation like that.

Moose...I had a bunch of drunk fools follow me on Rt7 in Vermont between Bennington and Manchester....I'm sure you know the dark human-less stretch. Anyway, the fools pulled right up on my tail and then shut their lights off at like 2am. It was so dark I couldn't see them at all. Complete blackness. Every once in while they would blow the horn. I was fuming and a bit freaked out since it went on for so long. Started speeding up to around 80 and they were right there in the dark. Got really worried about hitting a deer or a moose. Wanted to do a brake-check and cause a massive crash, but wasn't sure how I'd fair It's easy to get the blood pressure going through the roof in a situation like that. Can you just imagine the ***** of those fools.....What if I had the kids in the car.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:24 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you just imagine the ***** of those fools.....What if I had the kids in the car.

If that scenario ever happed to me- with my 2 children in the truck- the last thing those idiots would've see in the pitch-black night is the muzzle flash of a 44 mag. I have a class "A" hi-cap LTC here in Mass- I'm usually carrying some sort of back-up pistol.

Don't get me wrong- if I'm alone and someone is f'ing with me, I'll usually diffuse the situation in a diplomatic way- but if someone is threatening my family- well... you might as well be trying to pull a baby cub from papa bears arms. I qualified "Expert" in the Marines- only thing I did well, those fools wouldn’t know what hit'em and I wouldn’t lose a wink of sleep over it.

i do know the steel rims are 30ft lbs for mine. dont know why the chrome lugnuts are so cheap as the studs are longer and seems like about 1/2" or so is grabbing. but they still seemed to strip out. dont have no issues with the other lugnuts. just these. i stripped out one on the back.

that is strange- I usually remove & tighten my lug nuts with a 1/2" drive IR 345 impact gun- which I believe has around 350-400 ft.lbs torque. (which I probably shouldn't do) but never stripped out the lugs or studs.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

Chuck,
I had the exact thing happen to my alum Rim after being stuck in a huge mud hole filled with stones.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...minum-rim.html

I had a buddy take it to his work and he had one of his welders fix it up. Did a great job and I haven't had a problem yet.

As for the 90 ft/lbs for the aluminum rims. The dealer installed different wheel studs for the aluminum rims when I bought it. They said the standard HO studs don't hold up to the 90 ft/lbs.

Hope the week get's better for ya.

Quick Reply: well i did it today. shatterd the front rim. the day before the wheel bots striped