Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Swamp-lites for my Scrammy - DIY tire changing??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They balance out pretty well. If concerned, you can get the stick-on weights but it isn't really an issue. Especially on quads like mine when running huge aggressive tires. They grab at everything on the trail and will dance a little regardless of being balanced or not. I almost never run that fast with my 800sp unless there's a good reason for it. If I want to go fast I'll take my DVX(mounted my own tires on that too and no issues at 90+mph).

Old 03-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by switzomatic
They balance out pretty well. If concerned, you can get the stick-on weights but it isn't really an issue. Especially on quads like mine when running huge aggressive tires. They grab at everything on the trail and will dance a little regardless of being balanced or not. I almost never run that fast with my 800sp unless there's a good reason for it. If I want to go fast I'll take my DVX(mounted my own tires on that too and no issues at 90+mph).

Do you balance them yourself, or take 'em to a tire shop ?
Should I even be conserned ?

I rarely go more than 40-45mph

I'm getting new rubber this week and the ATV shop I am going to have mount my tires said they dont balance them.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't balance them. I figured since there were no weights on the originals, most likely no need for them on the new tires.
The rears were on for this past weekend's ride. They went on fairly easy. Broke the beads by using a 3 ft long 2x6 as a ramp. Release all the pressure be removing the valve. Replace the valve and then drive up on the tire to blow the bead. It is easier to start with the "shorter" bead first. A big screwdriver and a decent tire iron got the tires off and on.
The beads were easier on the rears. Just soaped up both rime and tire and aired them up. Beads didn't pop until almost 50lbs.
Seating the fronts was beginning to become a pain. I finally gave up and went straight to the kaboom method. Remove the valve. Set the rim on a paint can so at least one bead was touching - spray a little carb clean (VERY LITTLE) in the tire, roll the tire around to fume it up and toss a little flame at it and BOOM..... instant bead seat. This method may not be wise for some.... so proceed at you own risk!!

As for the tires being shorter. It is hard to tell with the rears. I replaced both mine and my wife's with swamplites and never looked at them side by side. The front swamplites are definitely taller than the stock carlisle 489. They are sitting aside each other and it is visibly taller.

Weather is looking great for this weekend - hopefully time will let me get out.