Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

tips on patching a tire from the inside?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tips on patching a tire from the inside?

I found a guy who will sell me a set of 27" mudlite xtr's for my 14" popo rims-
barely used for $125 (for all 4) but one tire has 2 plugs in it. I was wondering if anyone had a technique for patching from the inside. Like layering patches in strips or any other tips to do a permanent patch job that worked well for you...

Old 03-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure any inside patch that you rig up is going to help.
I' know this product is expensive but is by far the best out there. Much better then slime.
High Lifter ATV Products & Accessories - High Lifter Pro Series Tire Sealant - 32 oz. Bottle
It will take a hole the size of your index finger and seal it instantly and stay sealed.
I'm going to do this on my next set. Will never have to worry about bead leaks or anything else nature can throw at my tires.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

That looks like a good chemical repair for out on the trail- but I'm really looking to do a permanent "mechanical" repair. These (most) atv tires are 6ply, so I don't want to use just a thin single ply rubber patch (or just a chemical) to fix a hole on a 6ply tire. I'd be pulling the plug out I guess, and then layering patches over the hole- each patch larger then the previous one. I figure maybe 4 layers should do a nice job.
Was wondering if anyone ever tried this before?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

Go to a tire store and get some radial patches and radial glue, buff the plug and area around it, dont get into cords, apply glue,put patch on and use a patch roller to roll the patch down.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

whatever you do make sure you rough up the area well with the enclosed rubber file cap,i don't know about four,i've done two,one auto,put glue all over then set fire,makes it melt in then a truck or bigger patch which was around 3" in diameter light it and done (blow it out after a few seconds)

Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
Go to a tire store and get some radial patches and radial glue, buff the plug and area around it, dont get into cords, apply glue,put patch on and use a patch roller to roll the patch down.
That's the method. Buff out any ridges inside the tire, rough it up a bit, glue and patch. Those truck patches are extremely strong. We used to put them on repairs on tires designed to take 80 lbs. of pressure and never had a failure. Honestly, if the plugs aren't leaking and they are cut flush with the tire I wouldn't worry about it. I got a side cut in my stock Carlisle 489s which were 3 ply if I remember right. I put 3 plugs in and they held for 3 years until I was ready for new tires. With the low pressure ATV tires have it's not likely to blow the plugs out. I've also fixed tires on my GMC 2500 (80 lbs. PSI in the rear) with regular plugs and never had a problem.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:18 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

I put 3 plugs in and they held for 3 years until I was ready for new tires. With the low pressure ATV tires have it's not likely to blow the plugs out. I've also fixed tires on my GMC 2500 (80 lbs. PSI in the rear) with regular plugs and never had a problem.
Ya- I know the plugs will probably work but, atv tires take an awful lot of abuse, and I don't want to be 300 miles from the staging area and have some unforseen plug issue. I figure since the tires are off the rims now- this is a good time to properly repair the plug. Some good tips here, I'll grab some truck patches and use my heat gun- fix it good & solid!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

I understand your concern...and i keep a plug kit and patches in my tool kit. BUT i have never used a patch. plugs are so easy, and they hold forever. A few years ago i had a brand new set of tires on and was just riding through a field and somehow managed to get a stick puncture. brand new tires. I was a way from home, so i plugged it. I was always going to take it to the tire shop and have them patch it, but just never did. That plug lasted the LIFE of the tire...from brand new to replacement. Riding everything from rocks to mud. I always carry plugs so if something would happen, i just put a new plug in.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Range Rover

I've got a plug in one of my Mudlite XTR's and it seems to hold great. If your going to do a patch inside have you thought about using a tube after. I pulled a big spike out of my tire the other day and it has created a very slow leak. It was through the tread and twisted around but only just pin holed the tire. I'm thinking about doing the same as you with an inside patch. I just can't bring myself to jamming a plug into such a small pin hole.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:50 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

If your going to do a patch inside have you thought about using a tube after.
I thought about the tube thing- here's why I decided to not use a tube...
If I'm on a trail, and I puncture the tire / tube, then I'm screwed big time, because you won't be able to plug a tube through the tire, and you won't be able to inflate the tire because it's a tube stem- you'd have to push in the tube stem back through the rim (or cut it off I guess) and install a rim stem to inflate the tire, but then you'd have a dead tube in your tire- Then you'd have to remove the tire from the rim to fix the tube.

Quick Reply: tips on patching a tire from the inside?