Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New guy and his new 2010 reddish orange 850XP

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:45 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went riding today and met a guy on the trails who had one- sic sic sic!
I don't usually feel small when I'm on my 06 sp 800 with 27" xtr's,, but I felt small next to his 850xp-

Old 04-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real nice looking ride! I have not seen that color before but it looks great. Congratluations

Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

nice ride!!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everybody, got to ride it a little more yesterday. I won't get to ride it to much until next weekend, couple of us are going to a place called Boggs and Boulders in South AL, it is supposed to be real nice.

The Bighorns are great, it is hard to get them to slip. Although I haven't been able to really challenge them yet. They have surprised me already climbing over a huge pile of sand. The were a few dump trucks worth of sand piled up, and I though for sure it would dig down, but I climbed up and over in 2 wheel drive. Although the sand was compacted I was surprised. I had them put on before I even got to the dealer, so I never drove on the factorys. I can tell they need to wear in a little, because they were a little rough riding to start, but have already gotten better with just about 20 miles on the quad, a good bit of that on pavement. I want to experiment with pressures a little. When I got the bike, they had 10 psi in them, I drove it a little, and lowered it to 7 psi and I like that better. And also I measured them at 7 psi on the bike and they were exactly 26''. So I figure they may run a little tall off the bike, but when weighted are perfect.

I do know that quads have came along way in the last few years, when I hop off of the 850 then get on my 2000 Big Bear, it's like "this thing sucks." . Not really but it is just so much smaller, weaker, and the ride is so rough. But I can't complain to bad because I have beat the h*ll out of it for 10 years and never once had a problem. I can only hope this Polaris will be as trouble-free. Especially since I didn't get the extended warranty. Three years was $800, seemed real high to me. It might come back to haunt me but who knows.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

7 psi may even br a lttle high. I run 5 psi in my tires and the ride is just right. You purchased the best quad on the market today. Be sure to perform the break in fluid changes around 25-50 hours. Mobil 1 oil and Wix /NAPA filters will save you some coin on the oil changes.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

Bike looks great. I see you put the 26 inch bighorns on your XP. Did you need to add spacers or do the swaybar mod? I am considering the same upgrade on the stock rims and will go with 26es if it means no swaybar mod or spacers.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Tundra27
Bike looks great. I see you put the 26 inch bighorns on your XP. Did you need to add spacers or do the swaybar mod? I am considering the same upgrade on the stock rims and will go with 26es if it means no swaybar mod or spacers.
Sorry I am just getting back at ya. Nope no mods to the sway bar, I have a 2010, and I beleive they changed the set-up on the swaybar for the 2010s. My tires have a couple inches clearance. But if it didn't have it, I wouldn't hesitate a second to bend the bar a little to get the BHs on there. These tires ROCK!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

A little update. I really got to put the XP to the test at Boggs and Boulders. We had a great time out there, and recommend it to anyone in south AL or North FL. You wouldn't think a place that far south could have serious rocks to play on. Also has swamps, ponds, caves, springs, and a nice pavillion, campsites and a cafe

But the XP did great. I went with my buddy who had his 06 Brute 750, my cuz and his rancher 420 2x4 (that I must have pulled out two dozen times) and a sportsman 450, and foreman 450 (i think), and my buddies kids on their 2 outlander 400s. I didn't really want to go through any deep mud, because I am kinda **** about my quads and hate getting them covered in mud. But I couldn't really help it a this place. But even with the Bighorns, I went through some SERIOUS mud holes and only got stuck once. But my buddys BF with 30 Mudlites faired even worse. Me and a Outty hooked to him couldn't pull him out. We had to get a truck to winch him out. I was really unimpressed with the 30'' mudlites he had. I followed him everywhere and seemed to have a lesser time getting thru things than he did. At Boggs, there is a giant, long hill they have mud races on that is muddy and slick and the XP just flat killed it. I pinned it at the bottom of the hill and it felt like the front tires just barely skated on the ground all the way up. I left all the others behind. And later on in the day the Brute smoked it's belt and I had to tow my Buddy, his wife, and quad all the way back to base camp which was a long, hilly ride. With me towing with myself and wife onboard. It was quite a load, but I had no trouble running 25 mph in low dragging him up some long windy hills.

Here a few more pics, I also added a pinstripe to my factory black wheels, I like the subtle looks of it, makes it stand out a little better. The color matched perfect. It was my first time pinstriping anything, and although it was farily easy; lets just say I don't have the patientce to do this very often.

Name:  P1030577v2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  166.7 KB

Name:  P1030579v2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  171.1 KB

The wife and I with the new bike. It and us ended up MUCH dirtier by the time the day was over. But after the first couple of trails we forgot to take any pics.

Name:  P1030618v2.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  131.0 KB

The wives on the Brute. I am SO glad my tires don't stick out past the fenders like his do.

Name:  P1030629v2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  150.8 KB

Being a good husband and washing the glue-like mud out of her hair after the ride on the Brute. Notice how clean I am, the XP has some great protection with the Bighorns.

Name:  P1030636v2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  197.5 KB

At the end of the day I was kinda pissed about a few things. My bro in law left a cigarette on the back of my bike sitting on a beer can he forgot about that rolled off, then melted a place in my plastic about an inch long. I was PISSED off bigtime, my bike was only a week old! Then when washing the quad off (not with high pressure btw) A huge piece of paint blew off the rear axle housing, and the sportman sticker blew off the tank. The sticker I can glue back on, but I am pretty sure the paint on the axle won't stick. But all in all it was a fun day, it would have been better had it not been so dusty, I like to blast around the trails, but the dust was so think you couldn't do that unless no one had been through there in a while, and even then you had to do it solo or you were killing the quad behind you.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

bama hey mine is just like yours....except i still have the stock tires. i got the front bumper from popo...yeah after seeiing yours i think i should have looked further into the bumper.... i kinda like the reddish orange color.. my nest upgrade is tires and exhaust...great ride thou isnt it.....its hard to stay outta the throttle!!!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That pinstripe really makes those rims look great. Looks like everyone had a great time.

Quick Reply: New guy and his new 2010 reddish orange 850XP